L&R Watch Cleaning Machine

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by rleegabe, Aug 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rleegabe

rleegabe Registered User

Oct 4, 2001
    Male
    Boeing
    Alderwood Manor Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this very old L&R three jar watch cleaner that works very nice but it seems like it needs oil. There is a cap on top that says oil but I cannot find anywhere on the net what kind to use or how much? Also on the sides there are caps that unscrew, anyone know what those are for ?

IMG_0542.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG

2. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any lightweight oil will work just fine. It doesn't have to be anything exotic. My favorite for that kind of thing is sewing machine oil. (I prefer synthetic, but it doesn't have to be.) 3-in-1 or gun oil or whatever will be good if you already have it.

As for how much, a couple of drops will probably do it.

The caps on the sides are for the brushes. There are springs behind them that hold carbon brushes against the commutator of the motor to complete the electric circuit so the motor will work. When the brushes wear out it's usually pretty easy to find replacements. They don't have to be exactly the same brand, just the same shape so they'll fit. If you unscrew one of the caps and pull one of the brushes out you'll see what they look like. Just pay attention to how they come out and put them back in the same way.

Hope this helps.

Glen

3. rleegabe

rleegabe Registered User

Oct 4, 2001
    Male
    Boeing
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Glen, thanks for for your help. So do I fill that oil reservoir or just add a little once in a while:???:

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another good question. On my motors like that I add a drop or two every once in a while, especially with a motor that doesn't see a lot of use.

Glen

5. rleegabe

rleegabe Registered User

Oct 4, 2001
    Male
    Boeing
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again Glen !!!!!!!!!!!!