L & R Vari Matic out of sync

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by SpamLess, Aug 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpamLess

SpamLess Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Male
    Semi-Retarded
    Florida/North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Folks,
    I have had and used this wonderful cleaning machine for over 12 years, and I have had to repair it a couple times. I know that the index arm and index plate are still correctly aligned, I scribed marks on the plate once I knew the arm was in the correct spot, and it is still correct. The son of the guy that sold it to me thought it might be a bad micro-switch, but they all seem to test good. I know the phenolic cam that actuates the micro's sometimes moves, but it is still tight and does not move any closer to the center of the machine.
    Here is a YouTube link to show how the machine is not lifting prior to engaging the index arm that turns the jar table. It does lift, but not at the right time. I have all the timers turned way down to less than a minute, so the video is not too long.

https://youtu.be/ibK4MQDn_2E

-bob b-

2. nick farley

nick farley Registered User

Jun 29, 2006
    Watchmaker
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would still suspect the micro-switches. They fail so often that I buy them by the dozen, and on one machine used five to get the machine to work properly. The only other thing that can go wrong is that the shaft that attaches to the index arm can move. IIRC, some of these shafts have a keyway that makes it easy to align, but others seem to rely on the tightness of the nut that clamps the index. I started off with three Vari-matics and now only have one that's fully functional. One developed a serious fluid leak and the other the long spring inside the center column broke. I suppose that these troubles are mainly caused by old age since all three of my machines are over fifty years old.

3. SpamLess

SpamLess Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Male
    Semi-Retarded
    Florida/North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick, and thank you for your reply.

You are the 3rd to say it is a good chance it is the micro switches. I'm going to order 6 of them and start taking this battleship apart. A couple of questions, since I have never had a fluid leak or problem.
    Do I need a bleeder cup or is there a work-around? if so, what do you do?
    Since I have never opened the hydraulic oil system, I would guess it would be good to change it, what oil do you use? I have seen many different suggestion's, but I would like to benefit from your experience.
    Any pointers on changing the micro switch's?

BTW- My machine had a pin from the plate to the index arm, although a few years ago the guy that rebuilt it told me to remove it, before I removed it, I scribed exactly where the arm is on the plate. And when I have that under the heater hole in the table I can see straight down into the holes left when I removed the pin, and verify it is aligned correctly.

-bob- SpamLess