Electric WW L & R Master Watch Cleaner Manual Needed

Dutto11

Jul 12, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Hi All,
I recently purchased a L & R 3 jar cleaning machine and was wondering if anybody has a manual for the above model that they would be willing to part with. (The machine is the one that has the manual reverse)
Also if anybody has a wiring diagram for the same machine then that also I would be most grateful.
Being in Australia the 110 volt can be a bit tricky but I have a Step Down Transformer that will convert the power to Australian current. I am getting the machine tested by an expert so if the above is available then that would make it better for the repairers.
Many Thanks
Gary

s. smith

Oct 13, 2006
Gary
So of these had the wiring diagram under the metal cover that holds the switch,,I have several of these old machines in storage if you don,t come up with a diagram maybe i can dig one out and take a look..:)

Dutto11

Jul 12, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Hi S Smith,
My machine didn't have anything under the base but as you can see LaFure has provided me with a very fine schematic for the master cleaner.
I will take it to my repairer and see if this helps him out.
Thanks for replying.
Gary

Dutto11

Jul 12, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Re: L & R Master Watch Cleaner Manual Needed

Hi S. Smith,
Just thought I'd let you know that the wiring diagram was of great use and the repairer has got it working properly once again.
Thanks for the effort.
Gary

terofpa

Dec 20, 2006
Lavelle, Pa
Country
Region

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to point out that if anyone has an L&R MASTER Watch Cleaning Machine and the heater doesn't work, it may be because the bulb in the pilot light burned out.

I had the same problem and finding the tiny bulbs that would handle 120v was impossible. I could find them for 3, 6, 9 or 12 volts but not 120, so I bought a light from Radio Shack that was made to handle 120v. I put the light in series the way the schematic above shows and the light worked great but the heater didn't work.......

To make a long story short, I put the light in parallel to the heater and then both the heater and light worked great.

Terry

Belanger

May 13, 2009
Welland, Ontario
Country
Region

Hey Terry,

The bulb on my L&R just blew out and I have enquired at a local electrical shop about ordering some new ones. The electrician has informed me that the only replacement bulb he could find was 2.5 volts. He was going by the number on the existing blown bulb which is (SL41). The replacement bulb is simply marked (41).

Would anyone happen to know if this lower voltage bulb will work?

Ray

Attachments

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region

Hey Terry,

The bulb on my L&R just blew out and I have enquired at a local electrical shop about ordering some new ones. The electrician has informed me that the only replacement bulb he could find was 2.5 volts. He was going by the number on the existing blown bulb which is (SL41). The replacement bulb is simply marked (41).

Would anyone happen to know if this lower voltage bulb will work?

Ray
If that schematic is correct then it probably will work. A #41 blub is a 2.5V 0.5A bulb. You'll notice that it is wired in series with the heater. So as long as the heater current is less than 0.5A (60 watt) the bulb will be fine. If the heater current is too high then the bulb will act like a fuse, glow very brightly for a few seconds and die. I doubt further harm will come to the machine. For < $1 for the bulb I'd just try it.

halnwheels

Dec 10, 2010
New Jersey
Country
Region

In older electric devices it was not uncommon to put the pilot light in series with the functioning circuit (whatever function it was). The resistance was necessary to provide the proper voltage to the circuit (functioning as a part of a voltage divider), so you may want to be careful that you are not over powering the heater in this case by taking the lamp's resistance out of the circuit.

Looking at the schematic shown above I couldn't see any spec for the lamp. I will look at my machine when I get a chance to see if there is any indication of which lamp should be in there.

Hal

technitype

Feb 19, 2012
Country
Region

In older electric devices it was not uncommon to put the pilot light in series with the functioning circuit (whatever function it was). The resistance was necessary to provide the proper voltage to the circuit (functioning as a part of a voltage divider), so you may want to be careful that you are not over powering the heater in this case by taking the lamp's resistance out of the circuit.

Looking at the schematic shown above I couldn't see any spec for the lamp. I will look at my machine when I get a chance to see if there is any indication of which lamp should be in there.

Hal
The resistance of the lamp is probably negligible in this particular circuit.

duhgluss

Feb 27, 2014

So, what's the word on the #41 2.5v bulbs? Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Thanks,

Doug

duhgluss

Feb 27, 2014

Also, what leads us to believe the original bulb is 110 volts?

Thanks,

Doug

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region

It is clear from the posted schematic that the original bulb is NOT 110V. The link to "callmedutch.com" above is still active so that probably the easiest fix if you are in the US. I did a quick search of the various US Electronics supply houses and none stock the part. Digikey has it listed as a non-stock item: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/41/41JK-ND/1553023 $47.50 for 100. I can remember the day you could walk into the local Radio Shack store and buy one of these right off the shelf, but these days they'll just try to sell you a new cell phone.:screwball:

The other option is to re-wire the unit, replacing the series-wired lamp with a 110V (LED?) pilot lamp wired in parallel with the heating element. I would recommend also adding a 0.5-0.75A fuse in series with the circuit as original lamp serves that function as well.

rob hannes

Aug 29, 2020
Country
hi guys , I am seeking a source for brushes for
a old L&R master watch cleaning machine, this is a early model ,
a picture is below, your help would be appreciated,
many thanks, stay safe, rocky

7IyQJgH.jpg

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
The big auction site has some, but I just went to a place that sells and rewinds motors and got some brushes for really cheap that were really close and filed them down.
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClockWonderer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff