L. Leroy Trip Repeater, Plus a Suggestion

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by Ethan Lipsig, Jun 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First the suggestion: Many postings that ought to be in the complicated watch forum were posted to other forums before the complicated watch forum was created, and many postings that ought to be in that forum still are being posted elsewhere. To partially rectify this, I suggest that we liberally post threads to the complicated watch forum that cross-reference those other threads.

To begin this, see Louis Leroy 5-Minute Trip Repeater, in which I unsuccessfully sought information about the source of the unusual trip repeater mechanism in a Louis Leroy in my collection. I still am hoping that someone will provide information about that movement.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan, if you are the original poster in the threads, you may ask to have threads transferred here when it seem appropriate. We did that for a number of threads in the chronometer forum.

We can also copy the thread here and then edit the original one to say it has been moved. The third method is to move it and leave a redirect code behind so that when the thread is selected it actually would open here.

The third method is generally used when threads are in the wrong forum by accident. I am less fond of that method since I use the next thread link to navigate in a forum and I get confused when I land in a new forum. :)

3. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, in this case I was the original poster, so please move the thread here.

I think the more elegant solution would be to permit a thread to appear in all of the forums to which it is relevant. For example, most pocket chronometer threads probably are in the European watch forum, but they likely also should be in the chronometer forum. Another good example is my recent thread on gold-cased watches with steel crowns. I posted that in the European watch forum, but it is equally relevant to the American watch forum. If such multiple forum postings were permitted, a person who is watching multiple forums should only see one posting, e.g., the one on the forum with the earliest alphabetical order.

4. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I had my choice, I would probably use the prefix to assign threads to possibly multiple categories. The software can require that at least one prefix be chosen in any given forum. Electric horology and the NAWCC Events forum are currently set up that way.

The effect is that one sees a list of subtopics at the beginning of each thread title.If you want to explore one of the subtopics, you may click on it and all the other threads that do not have the same prefix will be hidden from the list.

Currently the feature does not support my favorite "next thread" link to visit each thread in that subtopic. However, we will be deploying an updated version of the software this fall and if there is some interest in this type of consolidation, the feature could be tuned to match our community's navigation preferences.

5. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    (slightly off topic)
    That could be the effect if people used the prefix correctly. However in some cases in the General Clocks forum, for example, people seem to use the "American" or "English" etc prefix to indicate that they are from, rather than where the clock is from. So you get posts with the "English" prefix and then the title "Austrian clock" for example.

I think that if you made the prefix mandatory, you would get a lot more of this kind of thing. I think we need to live with the fact that many people don't understand the concept of metadata well, and as site is not here to teach them that kind of thing, some of the more complex potential functionality won't work all that well...

6. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am sure you are right about the learning effort and I don’t think we should put much effort into user training. If the moderators would correct those sort of errors it might become easier for users to pick up the idea.

7. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    Hello Ethan,
    Your watch is a simplified version of H.O. Stauffer’s patent for a clockwatch with a grande sonnerie and a minute repeater (see attached drawing).
    I am also attaching a photo of your watch (without the background) so everyone knows what we are talking about.

L Leroy 1 no background.jpg Stauffer 1897 G Sonnerie (minutes), 1897.jpg

Your version is like what is in the drawing but without the self-striking, leaving just the trip repeater. Stauffer, with no apparent direct link to the chronograph’s Stauffer (La Chaux-de-Fonds and London)*, was granted a patent on Feb 17, 1897. The major claim was that both, the going and the striking trains, were powered by the same barrel. He also claimed an improvement to the striking triggering mechanism and the repeating system itself.

I have seen a number of grand sonneries based on his patent including the one below.

Stauffer 1897 FULL.jpg Stauffer 1897 BACK PL.jpg

They were always half plate movements, with three bridges for the going train. The simplified version I have only seen on the same ebauche as yours (see below), most of which were cased in silver.

Stauffer 1897 JUST BTRIPO.jpg

The history of the invention has a convoluted twist. Just a few months after the patent was granted, on July 31, Stauffer sold the rights to Henri Sandoz-Robert (established 1894), another manufacturer in the same town as Stauffer, Ponts-de-Martel. It does not seem that Sandoz-Robert was a successful manufacturer. When a position of a manufacturing director opened at Tissot (1915) he jumped at it. His salary was 600CHF per month. He sold his patent rights twelve years before (April 13, 1903) to Jules & Georges Perret, manufacturers at La Chaux-de-Fonds who advertised repeaters with silent governors, grande sonneries with quarter, or 5-minute repeaters (for the same price), and also with minute repeaters (for a slightly increased price).

The complete Stauffer’s grande sonneries, I believe, were made by the Perrets. Your version probably was too.

* Regardless of the fact that the chronograph, which Stauffer Son & Co of London advertised, was based on H.O. Stauffer of Ponts-de-Martel patent. Both Stauffers might have been related (if so, I am not aware of it), their companies, however, were not.

I hope this will help.
    Philip

Ethan Lipsig likes this.
  8. Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks so much, Philip!