KY Railway Museum, Ball “999”!

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Brad Maisto, Jul 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I am headed over to the KY Railway museum on Thursday, July 11 and I plan on taking my Ball (Time Them All) -Hamilton “999”, serial number 458,740 and marked “17-Jewels, 999, Trade Mark, Sapphire Pallets, Double Roller, Adjusted, Official RR Standard, The Ball Watch Co. Cleveland, Safety Pinion, and Patented Nov. 17.96 and Pat. Aug. 18.96. It is housed in a Philadelphia Silverode, 350962, case with a nice engraving of a steam locomotive on the caseback. I acquired this in 1996 and think it is about “time” this watch has a new home where other train enthusiasts can enjoy it? Is or are there any guidelines for donating such a piece to a museum? Thanks in Advance, Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

E8B3A72D-D39D-40B8-A31D-481A30AE9538.jpeg 9FDCB5DC-D3F8-40C4-A796-F528BE646FA7.jpeg B5721635-8177-423F-BE48-4263145A6A06.jpeg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Brad,

Do they have a collection of watches on display there
    Do you expect it to be put on display

In order to add an object to a permanent collection, they need understand
    where it fits in their historical narrative.
    Does it offer a new perspective
    Is it a unique representation of a historical event
    Once in a museum it will never be run again.

I do think it's a nice gesture.

Rob

3. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    It is my understanding once it is donated it is their choice to do as they see fit. Display it, keep it in their archives, or sell it to raise funds

4. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that you should have called them or emailed and asked them what you are asking us, so that you would know the policies and procedures and that may influence your decision weather to donate or not.

musicguy likes this.
  5. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Jim give them a call before you go Thursday.

Rob

6. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An approach that might avoid 'heartbreak':
    offer it to them "On Loan", if it will be put on
    display.

7. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am going with a group from my church and we will be getting a “behind the scenes” tour of the museum. I will be sure to take some pictures and post here later. Thanks for the several reply’s.
    Brad Maisto

PatH likes this.
  8. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll be at the museum on the 26th for the C&O 2716 excursion-if the watch is on display then I'll certainly report back here!

9. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Regarding the number 999, my recollection is that locomotive 999, the first to achieve a sustained run of 100 mph, is in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. But I could be wrong.

Inquiring minds want to know.

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Just FWIW, New York Central and Hudson River Railroad No. 999 - Wikipedia

11. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #11 River rat, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Be careful donating stuff. When the USS Iowa was in Richmond CA for some yard work before becoming a museum I volunteered for it helped paint the flight deck and other stuff. Notice there was no ships clocks aboard and figured since it was becoming a museum it mite need some. And since I had a large collection of them I donated one. After it opened up as a museum I email them were it was at on the ship never got a reply. At one of my navy reunions some one I know works on it I ask about it mite of been stolen by the guy that took the donation don’t think that guy works on the ship any more only thing I got was a tax donation form. Kind of sucks. Like some one said they can do any thing they want and even sell it. I got a large collection mite sell it all off when I get to old to enjoy it instead of donating any of it. You know I mite of donated a few more to the ship if I did not smell a rat.

kevin h likes this.
  12. butlercreek

butlercreek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Male
    Chief bottle washer
    Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Where was the flight deck on those old Iowa class battleships?

13. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #13 River rat, Jul 10, 2019
    When President Reagan brought back the battle ships back in the 1980's they reinforced the fantail that's the back end of the ship so a helicopter could land or during unrep helicopters hover over the fantail to drop loads got photo's of the work and got some photo's of unreps picking up loads like the ammo ship I was on we called it a flight deck because a helicopter could pick up loads or drop loads with out landing our flight deck could not support the weight of a helicopter the ammo ship I was on was built in the 1950's before the use of helicopter so only thing they could do was have a wide open fantail with a painted circle for unrep and unrep is resupplying at sea along side ship to ship or by helicopter to ship. I can post photo's but that would be hijacking this thread.

14. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #14 River rat, Jul 10, 2019
    The first photo the fantail or flight deck and the safety nets along the edge so in a emergency you can jump in it or if the rotor blade blow you off you land in it and a photo of me just retired and they had the ship open for tours and were asking for volunteers so I did. See the 16 inch guns got to sit on the barrel and put the bloomers on that's the black covering at the end of the turret made it worth while.

DSC007735.jpg DSC007662.jpg DSC00772.jpg

Keith R..., viclip and Rick Hufnagel like this.
  15. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is it possible to use names rather than initials for railroads so that railroad enthusiasts from outside the USA can see exactly what you are talking about?
    Thanks
    Les

16. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    2039963F-D424-4170-9281-9FB2A81B39DD.jpeg A02695E7-C644-4019-8DCF-041954F6967A.jpeg 93D8ED7F-0CBE-4CAA-981A-7C2205716A66.jpeg 3A331D74-AF46-49CD-8141-A389092AF860.jpeg 79773267-1DD2-4A72-B9AE-63749C91837D.jpeg 47D0E64B-6B94-422C-A3DD-B0260CD1194D.jpeg 889CC720-74F3-4E13-8C03-BD17E92A370F.jpeg 349AB078-5B0E-425E-8FA1-840447638330.jpeg D2F1BFC4-2A87-4058-836A-4BB8B95B7D05.jpeg 51814F4E-B747-4FA1-9446-3667FA9853E9.jpeg
    Long story short, I returned from the KY (Kentucky) Railway Museum with my Ball watch still in my pocket. The museum is located in New Haven, Kentucky, about 30 minutes east of Elizabeth Town, KY. Our behind the scenes tour was led by a retired chemist who had worked for Borden. They do offer train rides and the picture with the yellow and blue SantaFe engine is one of their working engines. Many of their “trains” are in various stages of repair and they are trying to keep what they have from further deterioration! Like many non-profits they solely depend on volunteers and donations to remain in operation. The small museum had a working HO gauge layout and I am including two pictures of a jewelers bench from inside the museum. Can anyone tell me what the gray machine on the jewelers bench is? I did not ever really talk to anyone that truly worked there as our group was pressed for time. I did flatten a penny for my lone souvenir! Brad Maisto

Jskirk, terry hall, viclip and 2 others like this.
  17. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    08006F9C-6420-4AAB-A552-FF5578A66CA2.jpeg D5FA8C6C-7BEE-433F-9B89-ECF591217B1D.jpeg 0D05BF1E-7320-4D35-8D49-3B7F75BEAD53.jpeg 4FA15F7F-1DCD-4776-B0F5-49E7E5A28862.jpeg CEB1F078-6B71-43C8-8492-EB53E972DF4B.jpeg 830F8A8B-64CF-4715-B6B9-D528317D9D87.jpeg
    Second post with a few more pictures, was not sure how many would fit in one post? And one specifically for “The Ohio State University” alums! And engine “2716” is being readied to be taken to a repair facility, part of the steel plate ash pan area had been cut-out and you could look into the engine boiler area!
    Brad Maisto

viclip and musicguy like this.
  18. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Gray Watch Master machine is a timing machine that prints out on the paper a series of dots for timing comparison of the watch. They made several newer models than that old one.

Bryan Eyring and musicguy like this.
  19. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As Jim said-it's a(very early) timing machine.

Brad, as you mentioned, 2716 is on its way shortly to Ravenna, KY for a full rebuild to operating condition.

July 26th is the big start of the move. I have tickets to ride behind it part of the way-they're going to load up 2716 behind one of their diesels(probably SF 2546) along with several passenger cars, and we're getting a couple of hours out before they drop 2716 for the next leg of the trip and take us back to the museum. I think the full move from New Haven to Ravenna is taking ~3 days. If I'm not mistaken, CSX has a no live steam policy, which of course won't be an issue on the way there, but when it's done in a few years will mean it will need to come back the same way.

Also, it looks like the tender still has friction bearings(unless they've snuck rollers inside them). With the covers off, I'm guessing that they're going to repack and make sure they're all in good shape. Most of the big railroads aren't overly fond of friction bearings these days, even to the point of often not allowing them at all. CSX will probably limit the speed over their track, which is probably a lot of the reason why it's taking 3 days to move it a short distance.

As a side note-SF 2546 is quite an interesting loco to me. It started life as an EMD(General Motors Electro-Motive Division) F-7, which is one of the big, streamlined "hood units" that are associated with 50s and 60s passenger trains. After hood units went out of fashion and the railroads moved almost entirely to "road switchers", Santa Fe had a whole bunch of their F-7s converted to a road-switcher like body and designated them CF-7s. I think 2546 is one of only two operational CF-7s around, one of a handful surviving, and one of only a handful of F-7s in any form still around. It's ugly as all get out to my eyes, but I've warmed up to it knowing the full story.

Also, for the person who asked for an explanation of abbreviations:

There use to be something like 50 railroads in the US, and through mergers we're down to 5 major("Class 1") railroads in the US-the Union Pacific(which has always been called that, although it has absorbed a bunch of others along the way); BNSF, a merger of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe; Kansas City Southern; Norfolk Southern, a merger of the Norfolk and Western and Southern Railway with a few others thrown in for good measure; and CSX, which doesn't stand for anything but was a merger of the Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Lines, themselves mergers of other railroads.

C&O is Chesapeake and Ohio, a railroad is now part of CSX by way of the Chessie System. The big one in Kentucky is the L&N-Louisville and Nashville-which again is now part of CSX.

Brad Maisto and musicguy like this.
  20. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very few museums are accredited. It took quite a while and a series of inspections and interviews to get accreditation for the NAWCC's National Watch and Clock Museum.

Accredited Museums have an Acquisitions/Artifacts Committee and typically a Collections Committee in addition to the Museum Board of Directors. When such a museum receives a gift, it goes through the accession process to determine whether it belongs in the museum collection. If it is determined that it does not, the museum may return it to the donor or may sell it to raise funds.

Once an article has been accessioned, both the collections committee and the board need to vote to deaccess the item. The reason may be that the items is a duplicate and a better has been found or that they collection plan has changed and different artifacts are being collected.

Such items may be placed on permanent loan with other museums where the artifact is more appropriate or they may be sold at auction. It is considered bad policy to sell such items privately.

If an item is accessioned, it may or may not be put on display. Most museums have only a small part of their collection on display at any given time and many maintain study collections that are never displayed publicly but are available for research studies.

If one wants to give a collection to a museum for "permanent display" it needs to be accompanied by an endowment to fund the cost of that display.