• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KWM Machine Maintenance

John Rausch

NAWCC Member
Mar 16, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Country
I have a KWM Bushing Machine that I inherited from my Dad, so it's easily 40+ years old. The Pressure Shaft (that slides down & up and takes the reamer) has at times not slid smoothly. I've tried cleaning the shaft off with alcohol and that seems to work for a short time and then it starts binding again. I have no manual for this so I don't know the proper care for the shaft.... heck, I'm not even sure how to take it apart. I usually ask for the proper method before I forge ahead and do what I THINK is the right thing... so here I am asking.

1) What is the right way to "care" for the shaft?
2) How do I take it apart?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Mine just pulls out from the top. I occasionally clean it with naptha and oil it with a light synthetic oil. I use Slick 50 ONE oil. It should slide up and down easily.

John Rausch

NAWCC Member
Mar 16, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Country
Mine just pulls out from the top. I occasionally clean it with naptha and oil it with a light synthetic oil. I use Slick 50 ONE oil. It should slide up and down easily.
Mine looks like this one. There is a keyway that runs down the shaft so there is a key or setscrew somewhere in the mechanics making so I can't just pull it out like on my Bergeons.

KWM.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like a collar with two setscrew holes just above the chuck?

You shouldn't need to take it apart unless it's rusty, or gauled out. Just add a few drops of 10W spindle oil, or machine oil, or clipper oil, to the quill and crank bearing every time you use it. Wipe off the old oil each time before you oil.

The new oil flushes away the old and the machine will keep itself clean as long as it's being used regularly. I would lightly coat the bevel gears and the leaver cam at the top with lithium grease.

My 2, Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you do want to take it apart, it looks like the upper plunger arm could be unpinned and removed. That would allow the spindle to slide out the top. Maybe. :)

John Rausch

NAWCC Member
Mar 16, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Country
If you do want to take it apart, it looks like the upper plunger arm could be unpinned and removed. That would allow the spindle to slide out the top. Maybe. :)
I can pivot the arm out of the way, but the shaft is captured somewhere by a key or setscrew, and will not slide out the top.

John Rausch

NAWCC Member
Mar 16, 2015
Bradenton, FL
Country
Looks like a collar with two setscrew holes just above the chuck?

You shouldn't need to take it apart unless it's rusty, or gauled out. Just add a few drops of 10W spindle oil, or machine oil, or clipper oil, to the quill and crank bearing every time you use it. Wipe off the old oil each time before you oil.

The new oil flushes away the old and the machine will keep itself clean as long as it's being used regularly. I would lightly coat the bevel gears and the leaver cam at the top with lithium grease.

My 2, Willie X
Thank you Willie.

Oiling it is what I am tempted to do, but was waiting in hopes someone has a manual for the little beastie. When I worked on some punch-card machines many years ago, I was told by a senior-tech that certain bearings were oil-impregnated bronze bushings, and that oiling them would attract dust and ultimately lead to early failure. With that in mind, and not knowing what's inside or exactly how to get it apart, I ask first, then proceed. Just hoping someone else has first-hand knowledge of it.

The collar looks as though it should have setscrews or a pin in it, but the holes just look like they were blind-drilled into the collar. No setscrew appears to be in them. And the collar does not rotate with the shaft.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like that collar on the bottom side has set screws and might come off to allow the shaft to be removed from the top.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
HI John, with this model, if I remember correctly, the keywaystops the tube going out the top. You need to remove the the circlip holding the spring down and the tube up. The tube should then drop out through the base of the device. If that is correct remember to hold the tube when you release the spring as other wise it may suddenly drop and bend or break the clawsthat hold the cutting tool.
David

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I think you will find that the collar, mentioned in post #4, is threaded and will scew right out using a hook type spanner wrench. Said wrench probably came with the machine and is setting in a drawer somewhere along with the instructions.

I would expect it to have a left-hand thread.

Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-