Kundo

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by garyg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. garyg

garyg Registered User

Feb 2, 2007
    Hello
    Just purchased this clock. Came home put in a new suspension spring and it took off. Amazing. LOL These hardly ever work for me with out cleaning. One reason I bought I have never seen the taller 4 ball kundo clocks with this dial. The movement is a 1952 model according to the book. I would appreciate your comments.
    Probably nothing special but I like the dial better than most I have seen.
    Now to bring it time.
    Probably not going to happen
    Thanks in advance

1B1A0BF7-A921-4DCC-B427-B7AE4958DF59.jpeg 8C67FD56-1275-408F-8D61-17C2E108A53D.jpeg DF4551F1-2897-4706-BFBD-37D7DEAA4155.jpeg

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Gary,

Interesting combination. I've never seen that dial on a full size Kundo, or even a full size movement. Could you please show where the dial is attached to the front plate?

Eric

3. garyg

garyg Registered User

Feb 2, 2007
    Eric
    Thanks so much for your comment.
    It is attached with Brass pins, Does not appear to be a marriage, Not where I can take photo.
    I will post tomorrow.
    Thanks again Gary

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Gary,

What I would look for are extra holes on the front plate. I had not looked at it before, but it's possible that all the narrow plate Kundos have the same hole pattern for their dials. That would make it appear like any dial that fits is original.

The only Kundo literature I've seen showing a clock with that dial is their model 402 "New York". It's shown with a brushed silver dial but I've also seen them in white.
    1b.jpg

Eric

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got that clock in the Art Deco style (my thought) with the white convex dial. The dial has those quarter-turn fasteners that hold the dial to the front plate. Of all the dial attachment methods, I like that one the best.

Kurt

6. garyg

garyg Registered User

Feb 2, 2007
    Eric
    Hope you can make out dial pins. There are only 2. If you find additional info. Please let me know

Thanks Gary

005705B6-8836-4F71-A839-B7DC5632054D.jpeg AE33D19C-AE37-4EB4-95C3-9D43066D10F3.jpeg

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 etmb61, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Hi Gary,

You do have 3 dial pins showing:
    garyg1.jpeg

So it looks like the narrow plate Kundo clocks have the same dial mounting hole spacing. The positions of the holes don't line up between the full height movements like yours an the short (midget) movements like the models shown in the brochure above. Unfortunately that doesn't help prove authenticity for your clock because the mounting plate on the back of that dial can be rotated around its center and fit either movement.

It's not unusual for the clock makers to have offered many different dials on the same basic movement and base. What is unusual (to me anyway) is finding parts for a specific sized model on a different sized clock. In my opinion that dial should go on a smaller sized clock. The key would be to find your model in some sales literature.

Eric

8. garyg

garyg Registered User

Feb 2, 2007
    Eric
    Great job your eyes are much better than mine. I had to look again but there it was 3 pins. Clock came from assisted living estate sale.
    Not a clock hobbiest or repair person where you see parts etc. laying around. You never know. I do have some old original 400 day
    catalogs from marts. Sure is a smooth job if it is a marriage.

Thanks again for your help
    Gary

9. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gary and Eric, I've seen this exact model before but it is scarce if not rare. Nearly all examples of this dial I have seen are mounted on the smaller Kundo miniature movement clocks. And yes, as best I know the dial foot position is the same on almost all Kundos, and the dial can be rotated in the bezel to fit the particular clock it is mounted on.