Kundo troubles

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
I serviced a kundo 400 day and it ran well and was keeping good time for about three weeks.It stopped running and and after checking everything I could think of and restarting any number of times I decided to lower the fork about 1/16" and now it's running but losing a lot of time maybe fifteen minutes a day. Can anyone explain what is going on?

Regards, Dutch

kirxklox

Deceased
Dec 17, 2002
Dardanell, AR
www.kirxklox.com
Country
Region
After running for a month and then stopping and not being able to restart, I suspect a LOSS of power at the MainSpring Barrel.

Changing the position of the Fork has only introduced another error in the original problem.

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
kirxklox said:
After running for a month and then stopping and not being able to restart, I suspect a LOSS of power at the MainSpring Barrel.

Changing the position of the Fork has only introduced another error in the original problem.
Thanks for the response Sam,

The thing is that there was power because it would escape when I moved the anchor by hand. The clock did start after lowering the fork and has been running for two days now. I was puzzled why there was such a major loss of timekeeping. It is very close now after I made a couple of twists on the adjusting nut onthe pendulum.

Regards, Dutch

P

Punkin62

I got a refurbished Kundo 400 day clock about 6 years ago and since then I've had pretty good luck at getting it to keep fairly good time.
My problem is that the pendulum wobbles from side to side when the clock is running.
Does anyone know what to do about this.

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Punkin62 said:
I got a refurbished Kundo 400 day clock about 6 years ago and since then I've had pretty good luck at getting it to keep fairly good time.
My problem is that the pendulum wobbles from side to side when the clock is running.
Does anyone know what to do about this.
Are you seeing the wobble of the center post of the pendulum or the entire pendulum unit?

I have found on some of these clocks that the center posts of the pendulum are bent slightly and thus they circulate unevenly.

You should also check and ensure each of the balls have their respective weights in them. Having either a missing weight or one of unequal weight would most likely cause an unusual swing but I wouldn't think you could obtain proper timekeeping.

P

Punkin62

I took the pendulum and suspension wire off yesterday and examined it. I found that the suspension wire was crooked in the top block. I took it loose and got it straight and the wobbling lessened some. I suspect that the suspension wire was also fastened in crooked in the bottom block.
While I had it apart I examined the pendulum itself and it was perfectly straight.
I will take a look at the ball weights too.
I'l have to figure out the best way to get the bottom block off the pendulum
without wrecking it. It has a small steel pin in it which isn't going to be easy to remove. I may wind up having to order another suspension wire.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. It helped.

Sincerely, Punkin62

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Punkin - the whole block should just slip out of the groove. The "pin" you notice is likely a permanent part of the block to hold it on the pendulum. However, if it has a coiled spring attached, then the pin does come out.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Dutch - did anything happen to damage the suspension spring? If it gets kinked above the fork, it just won't run right. Things that occur suddenly like that are very unusual, and normally indicate that something changed drastically, or a part failed.

P

Punkin62

Thank you Shutterbug
Mine has that coiled spring with a brass thing that covers the pin. The only way I can see to get the block out is to remove that pin. I might leave it as it is because it seems to be keeping pretty good time. like they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
shutterbug said:
Dutch - did anything happen to damage the suspension spring? If it gets kinked above the fork, it just won't run right. Things that occur suddenly like that are very unusual, and normally indicate that something changed drastically, or a part failed.
Shutterbug,

It's a puzzle to me but no nothing happened to damage the clock in any way and after lowering the fork it has been running now for about a month and keeping good time.

My question was why would lowering the fork have such a large impact on time keeping,fifteen minutes a day seems a whole lot more than I would have thought. Anyway it's doing fine now and I am happy but still puzzled.

Regards, Dutch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller