• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Kundo Standard Confusion

John Webb

Mar 23, 2006
Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
Country
Region
I have replaced the badly twisted suspension spring on my Kundo Standard with a Horolovar replacement. I ordered a 3A assembly, which was supposedly the right one, and I ordered some extra .0032 springs just in case. The 3A was 1/4 inch too long and the blocks were not a perfect match. The spring on the 3A was noticeably wider than the individual .0032 springs. I decided to build a new assembly with my old blocks, using one of the new springs. I had to trim aprx 3/8 inch to keep from dragging on the bottom of the cup. ..........It now keeps perfect time with 20 to 30 degrees overswing after the clicks, both sides. HOWEVER, total rotation is only 180 degrees. I think I remember reading somewhere that there should be 270 to 300 degrees of rotation. Have I done something wrong?? Is it just a coincidence that it's keeping good time?? John

John Webb

Mar 23, 2006
Country
Region
I have replaced the badly twisted suspension spring on my Kundo Standard with a Horolovar replacement. I ordered a 3A assembly, which was supposedly the right one, and I ordered some extra .0032 springs just in case. The 3A was 1/4 inch too long and the blocks were not a perfect match. The spring on the 3A was noticeably wider than the individual .0032 springs. I decided to build a new assembly with my old blocks, using one of the new springs. I had to trim aprx 3/8 inch to keep from dragging on the bottom of the cup. ..........It now keeps perfect time with 20 to 30 degrees overswing after the clicks, both sides. HOWEVER, total rotation is only 180 degrees. I think I remember reading somewhere that there should be 270 to 300 degrees of rotation. Have I done something wrong?? Is it just a coincidence that it's keeping good time?? John

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
John, the Horolovar individual springs are "always" too long to start. That allows for you to make adjustments for the individual variation from one clock model or maker to the next.

To increase pendulum rotation, raise the suspension fork. with 20 to 30 degrees overswing you have plenty of leeway to do that. After raising, check to make sure the overswing is still adequate as it will decrease as the pendulum rotation increases. Should not go less than 10 degrees minimum (approx. 3/8 inch at the perimeter of the pendulum arc). 270 degrees is a good target for total rotation, but there are MANY clocks that run very well with only 200 to 220 degrees.

John Hubby

John Webb

Mar 23, 2006
Country
Region
Thanks John. I have 270 degrees now. Raising the fork had an opposite effect on overswing than was expected though. It actually increased to 30 to 40 degrees, both sides. Regulation slowed somewhat, but still within adjustment range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent