• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Kundo Model 403 "New York"

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I've been looking at this model for some time and finally pulled the trigger, because the small ones are soooo much fun! This one arrived in beat and it works good. The hands were painted black so I pulled them to clean that off. The dome is 8" tall by 5.5", so wider than the typical small Kundo.

The plate looks like 1379A but the upper suspension guard hole is in the wrong place. I suspect the guide is wrong here too. Plate 1381A has the guard holes in the correct locations.

Eric

NY1.jpg NY2.jpg NY3.jpg NY4.jpg NY5.jpg NY_br.jpg

victor miranda

Jan 13, 2017
Baltimore
Country
Region
One of these recently caught my attention ... on the bay of course....
I decided I had enough clock projects.

I like how it looks.

victor

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have one of those, but it's plate 1406H. Mine has a white dial. If the dates are right in the repair guide, this style of clock was made over a wide range of years - 1955 to 1970.

I like the looks of it, the convex dial, the hands...has an art deco feel to it.

Kurt

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
I'm not normally drawn to post-WWII torsion clocks, but I've always liked this model for its 'atomic' styling!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nice clock! Does it have a silvered dial, or is it another finish?

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I have one of those, but it's plate 1406H. Mine has a white dial. If the dates are right in the repair guide, this style of clock was made over a wide range of years - 1955 to 1970.

I like the looks of it, the convex dial, the hands...has an art deco feel to it.

Kurt
The brochure I pictured above (though I couldn't read and write the model number at the same time:eek:) states that this was a new model for 1954. Kundo changed suspension guards from metal to clear plastic to gold plastic to clipped on plastic over time. They also changed the pendulum at least once. This movement has the "B" arrangement for the escapement, so it was made after that change. The dial is fixed with pins rather than the cam style posts. Data on when these changes happened would help with the dating if it were known.

I too like the "atomic" look. The curved movement support is very robust.

The dial is a silvered disc over a polished brass pan. The hour markings are cutouts in the silver disc. It's held together by the single grommet in its center. That's unique. It has a blemish where the lacquer was damaged and the silver is tarnished. I'll have to try and fix that. It's also missing the Kundo emblem.

Also plate 1379A is correct as shown in the guide. I found another example in my records. My clock's plate is not listed.

Eric

Last edited: