Kundo Miniature wont go

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Billingd, Aug 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Billingd

Billingd Registered User

Sep 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi

Recently bought an old Kundo miniature. I have replaced the broken suspension spring and put the clock in beat. Clock runs for a few minutes but the pendulum does not gain any rotational power. After a few minutes, the clock stops. I have adjusted the gap in the fork to accept a piece of paper (it was too tight), and also moved the fork progressively down the suspension wire without any improvement in performance. However, when I manually rock the verge and anchor, the escape wheel rotates as it should, and I've tried this for several minutes. I'm thinking I need to strip and clean the movement but I'm confused as why the escape wheel rotates ok with no signs of any sticking. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be trying prior to a strip and clean ?

Many thanks

David

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David -

How long is a "few minutes"? Also, does the escape wheel really "snap" or move with authority when it unlocks? If it just moves but doesn't do it quickly, that suggests there's little power being transferred to the suspension spring.

Likely, if you look inside the movement and see bits of fuzz, lint, etc., it probably really means that it has to come apart for cleaning.

Kurt

3. Billingd

Billingd Registered User

Sep 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kurt
    In this case a few minutes is less than 5. I’ve put other 400 day clocks in beat before that will build up their rotational energy from the merest push to the first escape wheel movement. With this one it just gets slower and slower from when you first let it go until it stops less than 5 mins later. I can’t tell how much authority the EW has. Clearly it cant be enough, so I’ll take it apart for a clean. It would be helpful to know what other people use to clean the components with once they’re apart. Some form of alcohol? Or are there better cleaners out there?

Cheers

David

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David -

There are certainly a variety of cleaning systems/methods. The ultimate is an ultrasonic system. I've not gone that route, but for now, I'm using a diluted bath of Simple Green and scrub parts after they soak for 15-20 minutes. I then blow dry. The one thing that put me up another level of success is use of a jeweler's lathe to polish the pivots. Also important to peg the holes. You can start with half of a toothpick chucked up in a Dremel.

Next time you reassemble, put the going train (that's the stuff between the plates) in except leave out the anchor. Then begin to wind the mainspring. It's been suggested that if the escape wheel will start off running or moving with as little as 2 clicks, you likely won't have any friction problems. Then you can proceed with other checks. Another check that I read about recently is to add to this first check by including the motion works or the gears and hands on the front of the plate. Repeat the click test. It probably will take another click to get the hands to move. But if any of this takes 4-5 or more clicks, you have a binding problem.

In your case, before disassembling, try taking off the motion works. Does the clock now run? If the clock is stopping in 5 minutes, seems like you have a serious drag somewhere.

Kurt

5. Billingd

Billingd Registered User

Sep 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Kurt
    Took off the clock face, fingers and gears behind. Still stops after 3-4 minutes. So that doesn’t appear to be the issue. Have noticed that as the EW moves, ticking is almost inaudible. So maybe a sign of little strength / power in the movement. Will investigate further.
    Thanks for the advice

David

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, you should be able to hear more of an audible "snap"...although on the smaller clocks with less power, it might be quieter.

Kurt

7. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I learned early on from this very forum that the mainsprings for these clocks must run smoothly or the clock will stop, and they need oil, not grease. I think I used grease on the first mainspring I cleaned, and despite everything being fine, the clock does not perform well. Stops, then works, stops again. Will be redoing that one soon. As old as these clocks are, and probably never having been cleaned, I am now to the point that the first thing I do is tear them down and clean the mainspring. So far, out of twelve, I think I have only found one that wasn't dry.

8. Billingd

Billingd Registered User

Sep 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    And she’s going Following a strip down and clean, now all back together with a 270 + swing and healthy overswing. Nothing majorly wrong but she had a lot of old oil. So must have been like wading through treacle beforehand.
    Thanks for the support and encouragement

David

7EEACBB6-86FD-483F-AC42-987D916882DD.jpeg

9. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to see you got it cleaned and running.