Kundo Minature Project

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Les Sanders, Dec 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Les Sanders

Les Sanders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Clock Repairman
    Sahuarita Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My wife picked up 5 400 day clocks and said here, fix em. LOL! So # 1 will be a Kundo Minature Disassemble clean polish oil new suspension, you guys know the drill. I need advice on the Plastic Dome, has a number of scratches marring I have not had much luck with them any one have a method of polishing these domes?

MVC-001L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG MVC-003L.JPG MVC-004L.JPG

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It really just takes patience and a lot of careful polishing with various sandpaper grits & polishing compound and if you want the best finish, a good sealer. I find a product called, "Blue Magic" to work well for a decent price.
    Most of the headlight restoration kits out there have everything you need. If you opt for one of the options that use a power drill, make sure to go easy and keep the surface wet, during the polishing phase. For this project, I''d start with the finest grit sandpaper and see how it goes, only getting more aggressive if necessary.

3. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the scratching is not severe on the plastic dome, car wax does an excellent job on making them clearer than glass. I like Meguiars gold class carnauba wax, which also works well on your cars.

4. Les Sanders

Les Sanders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Clock Repairman
    Sahuarita Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have Carnauba wax and also Renaissance Wax I will start there and report back.

5. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The car wax has a mild abrasive in it so I'm not sure if a pure wax will have the same results. Worth a try though. This Kern I recently went through had a fogged dome, here it is after waxing.

20191210_212957.jpg

6. sjaffe

sjaffe Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    Engineer
    Santa Rosa,CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Les,
    I have had good luck with Novus plastic polishing compounds. I apply with a cotton cloth (t-shirt) by hand. Simple, inexpensive, effective.
    Stan