Kundo Kiennger & Obergfell Anniversary Clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by okrobie, Feb 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. okrobie

okrobie New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    12" version. Found it at Goodwill for $10. It's as pretty as can be and seems to be intact. But it only runs for about about 15 minutes. I have enough experience to replace the mainspring if necessary. When I bought it, it was wound too tight and wouldn't run at all, but I de-wound it and it ran, but only for a few minutes. Can someone please help? Thanks, Jim

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim,

Welcome to the message board, and the fascinating and addictive world of torsion clocks.

If all else is good, short run time is typical of not being in beat.

See this article:
    Beat Setting 101

Be sure to post us some pictures so we can see if anything else might be needed.

Eric

3. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Jim, Nice find for $10! If it wouldn't run when tightly wound but actually runs a bit after letting it down some it makes me think the mainspring is really sticky or dry. After you get the beat set as Eric recommended watch the escape wheel and see if it snaps pretty quickly when it drops off of each pallet. If it is a little sluggish you can let the spring all the way down then add some light oil to the pivots then wind it back up. if escape wheel is still sluggish then you are probably going to have to take it apart for cleaning and a closer inspection. Post some pics... we always like to see pics!

4. okrobie

okrobie New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Was

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another thing to look at is over swing. After the escapement clicks, the pendulum has to continue its swing for at least 1/2 to an inch. If it doesn't do that, lower the fork about a mm, and see how it works. Remember, small adjustments make a big difference.
    I agree with Harry that the spring is probably dry and sticky. 400 day clocks require a smooth slipping of the spring leaves against each other because they move so slowly.

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've come to realize that I've been putting way too much oil on my mainsprings. I had been using enough oil to make sure the whole spring was visibly "wet".
    Lately, I've been oiling the spring in the winder and then removing pretty much all of it with a clean rag. Basically, just a rustproofing coat is left when the spring goes into the barrel. It seems to make for a lot less jumping and popping in the lower part of the wind.