Kundo Finial Design Cues

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I started to work on a Kundo (plate 1389) from around 1950. Bought at an estate sale. Below are two pictures of arches/finials for Kundos. The image with the full arches has the one that came with the clock on the left and a replacement I had in my stash on the right. The original has the stem for one of the finials torn off, so I was thinking about just substituting the one on the right. But the second picture shows the finials up close. The one on the left is presumably original to the clock while the one on the right is the replacement style. I noticed a couple of major design differences. The one on the left comes to a sharper point, plus it has slanted serrations in the band around the middle...the other one the serrations are vertical. I don't have the slanted style among my loose finials.

I looked through some of my other older Kundos and see both styles. Mostly the straight serrations are for later clocks. But I see clocks around 1933 or so have both styles.

Anybody have any info on when these different styles of finials were used?

Thanks...Kurt

Finials1.jpg Finials2.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Other than the estimated dates given on each plate in the guide, there's no hard/fast dating for Kundos that I'm aware of. The current guide says "c 1950" for plate 1389 which is circa 1950. Generally, I think that date is in the ball park but some of the dating in the guide is really off.

Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-