• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Kundo Kundo Electromagnetic

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I went through the archives with this title and read all the posts. Answered my questions about the large screw in the back, whether to oil the acting surfaces of the pawl and EW, and how to substitute the battery holder. As to this clock, there is an inscribed plate dated 1978. It is now running with a new battery, and keeping perfect time, but I doubt anyone has worked on the clock for many years, since it still had a paper enclosed Horolovar battery pack that looked like it had been made in 1978. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to oil all the pivots of the movement, but assuming has sometimes created negative outcomes for me. Advice please.
Kundo Elec.jpg

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I have a few of these clocks and I don't think any of them have ever been oiled. Since there are no weights or springs driving the movement there's really no load to wear out the pivots. Perhaps the ratchet and pawls might need a drop.

Does your clock have the small circuit board beside the battery?

Eric

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Yes, there is a small circuit board to one side of the battery. One of the posts mentioned the EW pivots would wear and needed oil, but didn't mention whether the rest of the pivots should be oiled.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I guess you could call it an escape wheel.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I have restored two of these and treated them the same as all the other clocks I repair. I oiled each pivot and lightly oiled the escape wheel (I guess that is what you call it in these) teeth. I did have to bush the escape wheel pivots in the front plate on both clocks, so wear does seem to be a problem in the top of these trains.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards oiling the pivots because the gears turn so much faster than a 400 day Kundo. Never had a clock of this type, so although it was a piece of cake to get it running simply by putting in a new battery, I had no idea how to properly maintain it.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I published the original repair instructions by Kundo in the old MB many years ago.They say that the pawl/escapewheel never should be oiled,the piviot with a light watch oil.HTH
I found the old thread,the pics still work: Kundo Electric clock
Burkhard

Last edited:

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thanks for the link. Diagrams basically gave me all I needed to know right now. Probably won't break out my German dictionary until the clock doesn't work.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Did you see post #22? Uhralt kindly provided a translated version.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I published the original repair instructions by Kundo in the old MB many years ago.They say that the pawl/escapewheel never should be oiled,the piviot with a light watch oil.HTH
I found the old thread,the pics still work: Kundo Electric clock
Burkhard
Do you know why they say not to oil the pawl and escape wheel Burkhard? I have one that's been running here for ten years that I did smear oil on the pawl and escape wheel teeth and that is showing no ill effects.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I suspect that may have come from the original design that has mechanical contacts, that should never come in contact with oil. I have never oiled any pivot or pawl or escape teeth on any of these and they run just fine. I have three of the electronic versions that have run essentially continuously for about 30 years with no measurable effects. I also have two with the mechanical contacts that require cleaning and smoothing of the contact points about every two or three years, I've never tried to install diodes or resistors to minimize the back EMF so there is some blackening of the points and a bit of erosion, but last time they were serviced the contacts were still plenty robust to continue operation for a long time to come.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
For info, I replaced the non-working link to Rod Elliot's website in the old post that Burkhard pointed to, where he shows in detail the rebuilding of one of these clocks including the rewinding of coils, etc. Here is the link: Kundo Electronic Repair

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I suspect that may have come from the original design that has mechanical contacts, that should never come in contact with oil. I have never oiled any pivot or pawl or escape teeth on any of these and they run just fine. I have three of the electronic versions that have run essentially continuously for about 30 years with no measurable effects. I also have two with the mechanical contacts that require cleaning and smoothing of the contact points about every two or three years, I've never tried to install diodes or resistors to minimize the back EMF so there is some blackening of the points and a bit of erosion, but last time they were serviced the contacts were still plenty robust to continue operation for a long time to come.
Thanks for the information John!

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nibsey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions