kundo clock Suspension Spring

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
sorry I don't have my reference book at hand,but if the moderators could move the thread to the torsion clock forum I´m sure someone here will be able to help.Thanks
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have a clock just like this waiting for cleaning. The back plate is 1406H from the repair guide. The spring thickness is 0.0023". I weighed my pendulum and it was 5.6oz.

Kurt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've moved this to the 400 day forum. I believe KurtinSA has provided the needed information.

bummer666

May 13, 2014
thank you very much kurt!! but do you know the length? or is the 0.0023" standard for this kundo clock?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
This is where you need to get a copy of the Terwilliger repair guide if you plan on being involved in these types of clocks. It shows the specific back plate as well as what the suspension spring looks like. The guide references #5E...a photo is attached. The distance between the two blocks is about 76mm but it has to be slightly longer than that to fit inside the upper and lower blocks. The fork is about 3.5mm below the top block, but this distance can change as you begin to set the spring and clock up.

Kurt
Spring5E.jpg

bummer666

May 13, 2014
"HELP" kundo oval clock Suspension Spring instructions

hello once again forum

I need help once again, I'm having big time trouble installing my new suspension spring I got for my Kundo Oval. I've already broken one!!!
:mad: Mallet :confused::confused::confused: does any one have step by step with picture instruction guide?:?| I don't know what I'm doing and I looked on the web and got nothing :bang:

thank you again forum!!! :D

Attachments

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Re: "HELP" kundo oval clock Suspension Spring instructions

Mods, maybe this can be combined with the posters original thread...keep this all together??

So, how did the spring break? And I don't think there's a picture illustration out there for this.

Question...are you looking to get more involved in 400-day clocks or will this be your only one? The Horolovar Company sells complete suspension units ready to install in the clock. When I first started on these types of clocks, I bought complete units. Then I built up enough "courage" and tools to decide that I could unscrew each block and fork, cut a new spring to the right length, and reassemble. You need good vision (I use a visor with magnifiers) and tools to firmly hold the blocks and unscrew the small fasteners without messing things up.

This particular Kundo, and most that I have, have an unusual arrangement for fitting the bottom block to the pendulum. They just don't fit over a mating hook. The bottom block has a removable pin. You have to have 3-4 hands to fit the bottom block because the spring system on the pendulum must be held out of the way while the pin is slid out. It was difficult the first time, but I've gotten better at it.

Kurt

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region

I find it easiest, on this model, to build the suspension spring assembly and then install it on the pendulum, first.
Then, carefully install the pendulum on the clock and lock it into place.
Lastly, and being careful not to mess up the area of the spring between the top block and the fork, install the top block in its hanger.
If you have the fork with a closed end, this method can still work, but it is a challenge.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

For putting the blocks on, drill a small hole into a piece of wood to insert the pin into while you work with the screws. It's much easier.

Reactions: turboflyer

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region

This one doesn't have a pin except when actually attached to the pendulum.
You have to pull the pin out in order to free the lower block from the pendulum.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region

The first Kundo I got with this arrangement, the pin just fell out. Others have the pin "staked" in...by that I mean the middle of the pin was knurled so that it was quasi-stuck in hole in the block. Personally, I don't like it being that stuck, so I filed the middle of the pin down so it's not so difficult to get in/out.

Kurt

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region

I've found that you can have a 'best of both worlds" scenario by repeatedly inserting the pin into the lower block while the suspension is off the pendulum. It only takes a few times doing this while rotating the pin, slightly, to get the fitment where there is still slight resistance to inserting/removing the pin and it can't accidentally fall out, should the retaining collar be lifted or caught on something.
I used to file it down or replace it with a bespoke pin, but I found that it's actually harder to work with a pin that floats completely free.
Doing this also preserves the complete originality of the clock (Should these ever actually be worth anything).

bummer666

May 13, 2014

Thank you all so much!! :thumb: I finally got spring on but know I cant get clock working it works for about 15/20 mins. and stops. I adjusted disk in both directions on pendulum but still same thing I leveled clock also am I doing some thing wrong??exhausted

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

It is likely out of beat. The pendulum should go an equal distance in each direction past where the escapement moves.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

Agreed. Another possibility is that you don't have enough over swing. You can increase that by lowering the fork a little.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region

If the simple adjustments don't let the clock start working, then the next step is to take the clock apart for proper servicing. From the initial post, it's hard to tell what the state of the clock is or what has been done to it. Whenever I get a new-to-me clock, I try all the things being suggested. If no amount of adjustments get the clock to work, it goes onto the shelf where it awaits teardown.

Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilGoodew
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller