• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Kundo Clock plastic dome/adjust hour hand

mattw26

Oct 14, 2020
Country
I just bought a Kundo dome clock. It is a quarts clock (battery operated) that chimes on the hour, which is why I found it appealing. I have two questions about it:
1) The hour hand is not properly aligned with the minute hand. When I turn the dial to adjust the time, both hands turn. When the minute hand is on 12, the hour hand is halfway between the two numbers. Is there a way that I can adjust this? I am inclined to loosen the nut in the center of the clock where the hands are attached but am afraid of the clock falling apart. I am not a professional so I don't think this is something I should be doing. I am attaching a picture of the clock that is supposed to be set to 4:00. As you can see, the minute hand is on the 12, while the hour hand is between the 4 and the 5. I have two other quartz clocks and one mechanical clock (all Kundos) and I know that the quarts clock dial is supposed to move both the hour and minute hand such that the hour hand is in the correct spot relative to the minute hand. For mechanical clocks, the minute hand has to be moved by hand, but the hour hand moves automatically with it. Ultimately, the two hands can not normally be adjusted separately. Is there a way I can do this or should I have a professional do it?

2) I believe the clock I received had a plastic dome. Did Kundo ever make plastic domes or were they always glass? This dome sounds like plastic when I tap it and it has a flat spot on the top of it, commonly seen with plastic. I am attaching an image of this with a red square around the flat spot.

Collecting Kundo clocks is a new hobby that I just started getting into, so I am not an expert, but I have learned a little bit about them. Particularly, I know that newer glass domes are beaded around the edge while older domes are simply cut and have a flat edge. This dome has a flat edge, but being that it is a quartz clock, I would expect the proper dome that came with it to have a beaded edge.

I was hoping somebody with more knowledge could provide some insight. I paid $90 for the clock itself, plus an additional $55 in taxes and shipping. The seller did pack the clock very well and I know that shipping properly is important, so it is likely to be expensive, but I am wondering if the dome of the clock is authentic and if I paid a fair amount given its condition. I should also mention that the clock was advertised online as a "Vintage Kundo Dome Chime Clock".

clock face hour hand not aligned.jpg dome top flat spot.jpg

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
To simply fix the hour hand issue, you just move it to the correct number

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
It also won’t hurt as long as you store the nut [ hands to]in a safe place where it will not get lost.

mattw26

Oct 14, 2020
Country
I did try to move the hour hand without taking anything apart, but it wouldn't move and I didn't want to force it. It sounds like you are saying I need to take the nut off, or maybe just loosen it, then move the hand and re-tighten. Given that this is a clock that chimes, I want to make sure that I don't do anything that screws up the timing of the chime.

Just to give you an idea of why I'm on here, I just recently became interested in collecting Kundo clocks because I like the rotating pendulum and I've learned a bit about the mechanical and quartz types, but not enough to make or fix a clock all by myself.

Any thoughts on the dome being plastic vs. glass? If I should ask that question in a separate thread, I will.

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
Well it you shouldn’t post it in a different thread and a moderator would just move it back here,But you can apply a little bit of force to move the hour hand

mattw26

Oct 14, 2020
Country
Well I was referring to my question about the plastic dome, was wondering if I should ask that in a different thread. But I ultimately got an answer to that question.

Concerning the hour hand, you were right, I was able to move it with a little bit of force applied toward the bottom of the hand, so thanks for the help there. I'm a rookie collector and don't know enough about the internal workings of these things to know all of what to do and what not to do, but I know these clocks are delicate. Thanks again!

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
You Can also use this method on mechanical clocks too