ATO Kundo Kundo ATO

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Phantom2, Dec 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Phantom2

Phantom2 New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Phantom2 said:
    I am new to the forum and new to clock repair. Just acquired a Kundo Electronic and it appears the motor is not working . It is the older style with all electronics inside the motor. Can anybody help me either find a good used motor or someone who can repair this one. thanks and i'm looking forward to future discussions about unusual clocks.

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    When I suggested you move your request to Electric Horology, I meant start a new thread in that section. Your clock is a Kundo, nothing to do with Junghans ATO, which is where your post is hidden now. No one will look for it under the Junghans-Ato heading.

Start a new thread.

JTD

3. Phantom2

Phantom2 New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am new to the forum and new to clock repair. Just acquired a Kundo Electronic clock and it appears the motor is not working . It is the older style with all electronics inside the motor. Can anybody help me either find a good used motor or someone who can repair this one. thanks and i'm looking forward to future discussions about unusual clocks.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 roughbarked, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    The first thing to do is level the clock so that the point at the bottom of the pendulum sits precisely over the mark at the centre on the coil. Check to see if this helps the clock run. If the clock appears to work but still won't run, then maybe the wires from the battery to the coil need to be replaced. Some of the more modern Kundo's had an external circuit for providing the impulse but the older ones had a built in transistor in the coil unit that eventually failed over time.
    OK. Now the Kundo usually requires an antiquated germanium transistor to be rewired into the coil unit if the coil tests with resistance but provides no impulse. This can be done but the germanium transistors are not easily found so alternative methods may be required. Kundo Electronique Repair

Here is where I start to marry your Kundo back with the Junhans ATO which actually used the same movement.
    Watch this video and pay careful attention to how he solved the impulse issue.
    Now read this post. Junghans, ATO.. and see that Junghans used a built in switch just like the one the bloke in the video cobbled together.

Industrial Alchemy - Transistors and Diodes

rudiedog likes this.
  5. rudiedog

rudiedog Registered User

Nov 12, 2013
    Male
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks roughbarked for posting that video! I am going to have to use his solution on my clock. It seems a fairly good, noninvasive way to get these clocks going again. Electricity is not my thing but I think I can do this.

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us know how
    Let us know how you go with it.