Kundo Anniversary Clock With FHS Movement

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by TickingBob, Apr 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TickingBob

TickingBob Registered User

Apr 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    First time posting (more to come). With more free time I've been rekindling my interest in clocks, with a few different types obtained. A family heirloom broken anniversary clock prompted me to purchase some others for learning and practice getting them working. I used a small lathe as a mainspring winder on one, saving the need to purchase any new tools.

As the other 3 anniversary clocks I have are miniature Kundo, I couldn't resist a full sized Kundo in a local antique shop at a low price. Joseph Rabushka's book helped with adjusting the pallets which were well off (I think someone must have tried to get the clock going). After a bit of a clean it is working fine and growing on me.

My surprise was the clock's movement - a standard FHS. So on to my question - my knowledge is very limited as anniversary clocks are new to me, but I wonder if Kundo were known for using movements from other manufacturers and is this unusual? The clock seems genuine as there is another thread from 2012 showing the exact same clock, which doesn't have levelling feet.

Thanks for any info, and I look forward to any comments/info on this clock (I guess it is 1940/50s) and also sharing my other clocks.
    Bob

20190401_164521.jpg 20190409_200816.jpg 20190409_200848.jpg 20190409_200936.jpg 20190409_201157.jpg 20190409_201213.jpg

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This appears to be plate 1103 in the repair guide. There is no indication in the guide that FHS worked with Kundo that I can see. I'm wondering if the dial was replaced? I await to be corrected.

Kurt

TickingBob likes this.
  3. TickingBob

Apr 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I had a similar thought Kurt until I read this post from 2012 with what appears to be the very same clock:
    FHS torsion cleaning and leveling questions
    Bob

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't look at your picture of the dial. The dial says Hermle which would be consistent with FHS. Where does Kundo come into the thought process? The pendulum appears to be similar if not the same as Kundo. I suspect that some manufacturers might have sold pieces/parts as needed.

Kurt

TickingBob likes this.
  5. TickingBob

Apr 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kurt,
    You beat me to it - I have just looked closer at the dial. Somehow I had read 'Kundo'. Of course you are correct - it is Hermle!

Don't know about the pendulum. Sorry for the confusion - great first post.....

At least I like the clock. Now I have Kundo and Hermle 400 day clocks!
    Bob

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pure 100% Hermle, including the pendulum.

TickingBob likes this.
  7. TickingBob

Apr 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Martin and Kurt for the info. I've booked an appointment at the opticians...:)
    Now I just need to find the best way to level the clock as a piece of paper stuck under it isn't too attractive.

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well... You don't have to worry about deformation of the column ends like you would on a lot of clocks.
    Start with seeing if the steel inner parts of the columns are straight by rolling them on a table. Any deformation of the base or platform they connect to should be readily apparent when they are removed. You'll usually see any problems here as the movement not being square to the base (Or plumb as compared to say a wall corner as a visual reference.).
    Also check that the base sits level on a flat surface.
    Assemble the clock and set it on a known level surface and mount the pendulum cup in the center of its hole and then adjust the movement on the platform to get the pendulum as close to centered as possible in the cup. Any final adjustment can be made by moving the cup in the base.

TickingBob likes this.
  9. TickingBob

Apr 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that Martin.
    I didn't notice when purchasing the clock that one of the 'washers' below the movement that served to centralise the column tube was missing, so I made a couple of stepped brass washers to do this job. Not the same curvature as the original but they do the job.of helping to level the lopsided movement.