Kundo 400 skipping minutes

Droptop02

Jan 20, 2020
Country
Hi, I’m new to the wonderful world of clocks and I was recently given a kundo midget 400 day anniversary clock that had long since worked, I researched the problem and found the suspension spring was the culprit, I sourced a new one from horolovar and fitted it.
The problem I have now is that in trying to regulate the clock I found that the minute hand would skip 4/5 minutes at a time, I haven’t taken the clock apart for cleaning yet as I wanted to get it working first, so any help sorting this problem would be much appreciated, thanks

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board and to the wide world of 400 day clocks! What you are describing is a condition called flutter. At one point in the rotation of the pendulum and movement of the anchor, the lock on the pallets is not sufficient to keep the escape wheel from jumping several teeth. If you took the top and bottom block as well as the fork off the old spring and moved them over to the new spring, then likely the fork is too low and needs to be raised a small amount, say 1mm. Try adjusting the fork upward in small steps to find the point where it stops fluttering. If it is moved too high, then the clock may stop since it takes more and more power to move the anchor through the larger range. Note that the midget clocks are very close on reserve power, so any need for more power can result in the clock stopping.

You should also check to be sure that the fork fits nicely around the vertical anchor pin. With the pendulum in its rest position, take a small piece of paper and ensure it will slide between the anchor pin and the fork tines. If it's too tight, the pin will bind during movement and that can stop the clock. If it's too loose, power will be wasted with the additional movement.

Hope that helps. If you get a chance, post pictures of your clock showing the front as well as the details of the back plate. That can help us find out more about your clock.

Kurt

Reactions: Kevin W.

Droptop02

Jan 20, 2020
Country
Thanks for the advice Kurt I will try this this evening and let you know how it goes, meanwhile here are a couple of pictures of my clock, thanks
again, Steve

IMG_5227.JPG IMG_5228.JPG IMG_E5228.JPG

Reactions: Kevin W.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
It’s best to take the suspension unit off the clock when adjusting the fork Its a pain, I know, but it is so easy to kink the spring trying to adjust the fork while on the clock. Believe me, I tried, but now I just sigh and take it off.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions