Kuempel

BrendanD

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2014
Country
Good afternoon. I recently purchased a 1940 Kuempel 3 tube tall case, time and strike (bim bam). After a quick clean and lube, I assembled it as it was taken apart for transport. It did not come with the weights so I have been trying different weights to see what seems best. For a 2 train movement, it appears large so I started with a 7 lb 15 oz weight on the time side and a 8 lb 3 oz weight on the strike side. It ran great, but ticked loudly and made loud clacky noises when striking so I reduced the weight to some jauch 100 m weights time being 5 lb 14 oz and strike being 6 lb 1 oz. It still runs great and is quieter, however, the strike is slower. Would anyone happen to be familiar with Kuempel and know what weights I should be using? Thanks, Brendan

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Good afternoon. I recently purchased a 1940 Kuempel 3 tube tall case, time and strike (bim bam). After a quick clean and lube, I assembled it as it was taken apart for transport. It did not come with the weights so I have been trying different weights to see what seems best. For a 2 train movement, it appears large so I started with a 7 lb 15 oz weight on the time side and a 8 lb 3 oz weight on the strike side. It ran great, but ticked loudly and made loud clacky noises when striking so I reduced the weight to some jauch 100 m weights time being 5 lb 14 oz and strike being 6 lb 1 oz. It still runs great and is quieter, however, the strike is slower. Would anyone happen to be familiar with Kuempel and know what weights I should be using? Thanks, Brendan
I believe that Kuempel sold clock kits. They did not make the movement.

Perhaps if you show some pictures of the clock, especially the movement, someone can identify the movement and answer your questions.

Regards.

Reactions: BrendanD

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Check out this link, Blackstone Manor Clock Repair | Hopkins, MN | About Us
Kuempel dissolved in 2007 but this guy had close associations with them.
If I remember, he has some of the remnants of the company and their records.
He may have data on who built that movement, the weight specs and maybe even some parts.
I have worked on a few Kuempel clocks and the ones I saw had Jauch movements that had been modified to suit Kuempel's preferences.
Good luck with that.
Let us know how you do,
Dick

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
What you are facing may be a double edged sword.
If you operate the strike train with too much weight, you stand the chance of accelerating wear in the strike train.
Too little weight and the reliability will be affected.
Compensating for wear by adding more weight is a poor practice and will be a short lived solution.
Correct problem, wrong solution.
If, as you say, the clock is vintage 1940, it is some 80 years old.
Have you assessed the movement for wear?
Could it be that you are having to add additional weight to compensate for 40-60-80 years of wear?
Has anyone added bushings to the movement to upgrade for the inevitable wear?
That is how I feel on the matter,
Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller