bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
have to say i really love craigslist... $60 for this KCC - kuehl clock company 5-tube grandfather clock, ca 1919 (based on the patent numbers on the movement). came with the weights (more on that in a bit), no pendulum or chime tubes... in fact, i didn't even think it was all there and was going to keep some pieces and part it out... but it started to come together and is a great clock.

the dial numbers are screwed in from the back, two screws each... nice. i (somewhat) silvered the chapter ring and second hand mini-dial... i say somewhat because i ran out of silvering compound, (doh!) but it looks much better. :cool:

i put new leather in the hammers... the hammer heads screw together, sandwiching the leather and stretching it firm... nice.

the chime tubes pictured are crap placeholders... still need to figure that out... but after cleaning and some attention to the escape wheel it's running and striking great.

john hubby posted some info in another thread about the company: K.C. Co. Germany

k_01_case.jpg k_02_dates.jpg k_03_dial.jpg k_04_movement_innards.jpg k_05_parts.jpg k_06_movement_installed.jpg k_07_hammers.jpg k_08_movement_bottom.jpg k_09_movement_side.jpg

bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
the weights are all engraved/labeled... TT is just over 12 lbs, CT is close to 14, and the ST was suspiciously light at 8 lbs... and in fact wouldn't always start the striking. i opened up the weight and found lead in the bottom half with the top half stuffed with way bills from the bangor aroostock railroad, all dated 1906... kind of tissue-paper consistency. obviously some clock person was employed or did business with the railroad at some point and threw them in... kind of cool.

k_11_doc2.jpg k_10_doc1.jpg

Reactions: Russell Dickson

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
looks like a really good quality movement. the pivot holes seem to be nice and tight judging by the few that can be seen in your pix. nice find bruce

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
for the dial, i would take off all the numbers, then wet sand it with 600 grit paper. that way you will have a nice clean piece of metal to silver. that is probably the only way you can properly fix the staining.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
have to say i really love craigslist... $60 for this KCC - kuehl clock company 5-tube grandfather clock, ca 1919 (based on the patent numbers on the movement). came with the weights (more on that in a bit), no pendulum or chime tubes... in fact, i didn't even think it was all there and was going to keep some pieces and part it out... but it started to come together and is a great clock.

the dial numbers are screwed in from the back, two screws each... nice. i (somewhat) silvered the chapter ring and second hand mini-dial... i say somewhat because i ran out of silvering compound, (doh!) but it looks much better. :cool:

i put new leather in the hammers... the hammer heads screw together, sandwiching the leather and stretching it firm... nice.

the chime tubes pictured are crap placeholders... still need to figure that out... but after cleaning and some attention to the escape wheel it's running and striking great.

john hubby posted some info in another thread about the company: K.C. Co. Germany

View attachment 531532 View attachment 531531 View attachment 531530 View attachment 531529 View attachment 531528 View attachment 531527 View attachment 531526 View attachment 531525 View attachment 531524
What a great find! Craigslist has provided me with more then a few great clocks too.

dgoerner

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
Country
Region
I have found a few on craigs list, even one for free, good luck it looks nice.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srhuston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions