Klaus Ferner Tower Clock - Hausmannsturm Dresden Castle

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by scootermcrad, Feb 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,

Well, throwing another info challenge up to you folks. Does anyone know anything about the Tower (Turret) clock built by Klaus Ferner in 1996 for the Hausmannsturm, Dresden Castle? I'm having a hard time find much information about it. Maybe it's too new? I ran across it on a social media post and just haven't found much on the interweb, or I'm searching for it wrong.

This clock looks incredibly well made and has an interesting gravity escapement of some sort. Hard to tell.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just want to learn more about this beast of a clock movement.

Here's a visual:

1024px-Uhr_im_Schlossturm%28Hausmannsturm%29.jpg

2. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a massive reliable German construction!
    The company was closed 2 years ago.
    Mostly you find info in German language, so I will give you few info below translated.

"Turmuhrenbau Meissen
    Klaus Ferner
    01689 Niederau
    www.turmuhrenbau-ferner.de
    Firma erloschen" Eng: Company closed

According to a German article found, Dipl. Ing. Klaus Ferner died on February 21, 2017, he had probably handed over his company to an employee, but that did not work and it was closed.
    For more than 30 years, Klaus Ferner has been managing the fourth generation of the company Am Pechgraben 5 in Niederau near Meissen. The expression of his orientation is first and foremost the turn towards the preservation of cultural and historical heritage. He devotes himself primarily to the technical cultural heritage, in particular the tower clocks and bell systems. Turmuhrenbau Further is listed in the list of renowned restorers in the industry. Ferner is also known as one of the few companies in the EU single market that built complicated mechanical tower clocks and astronomical art clocks by hand.

The company came out in 1872 from a locksmith's shop full of tradition. This was already in 1854 in the quarterly book of locksmiths, rifles and watchmakers and the forges.
    Otto Fischer, Johannes Hummel and Erich Fiedler are names that have decisively shaped the German tower clock construction.

Hope this helps
    Dragos

scootermcrad likes this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dragos! Thank you! That's great! Now I want to see more of his work. This thing is fabulous! I'm hoping to run across some more pictures of the clock to see details of its construction.

pidragos likes this.