Kirx Klox Special Project

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by kirklox, Jan 3, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    http://www.kirxklox.com/project/index.html

I have been adding book reviews as I receive permissions and as time permits. This is a daunting task, but would be a lot easier if those of you that have read these books would help.

Register! Wait for me to confirm your registration. Then Add Comments to the book of your choice.

2. Modersohn

Modersohn Registered User

Nov 15, 2003
    Are there any books that particularly need to be reviewed/ reported on?

Modersohn

3. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    It does not matter, there are 2532 books listed. Only 12 have reviews.

Enjoy your reading!

4. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

I wish you better luck than I have had.

When I first produced my bibliography I asked people to add reviews. But I only got one reply. But maybe that isn't surprising.

Over the years I have managed about 50 reviews per year, and it would take me another 40 years or so (well past my use-by date!) to review all the books that I have included in my bibliography.

Some books and booklets could be read and reviewed in a few hours, but many took months. The problem is that to review properly is akin to a small research project. Because books cannot be treated in isolation and must be carefully analysed in the context of the author's aims, other books on the subject, and a good understanding of that subject. (Which is why my reviews of most books on adjusting are unfinished; I don't think I know enough about the subject to do justice.)

This is especially important with the less-than-good books. The reviewer must put in the necessary effort to justify his/her opinions.

Which is to say: Bland reviews which do little more than summarise the contents and make some "nice" remarks are pretty pointless. A review should be a guide and so should express justified opinions about the quality of a book.

5. Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
    Okay, I did find the list--quite an impressively long one, too.

I ordered a few books that looked interesting and could write "reviews"--- but do you think it's worth it? I mean would anyone ever look at it?

There are so many books, it's overwhelming--

(I agree with Richard that vague--ie "this is a good book that tells about x" (when x is somehwat self-evidently the subject of the book"--reviews don't seem useful-- of course mine won't be as scholarly as his, but I can probably at least give a useful, somewhat analytic account of the books-- at least of the ones I ordered.)

Are a lot of these in the Nawcc library? (PS-- thanks for the answer to that, Sam-- I'll look into that further)

Modersohn

6. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    Most of the books listed should be available from the Lending Library?

I am not at liberty to publish the Lending Library Book List so must leave it up to the members to do that check.

It is also very simple to add another book to the Bibliography. That too must be done by Registering and Logging In to the Kirx Klox Special Project. That is how I keep records of who is providing the Data.

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is an enormous amount of publications on there and I can't see an alphabetic method of listing which would be more very user friendly and encourage greater use as it would take far less time to find a book. I appreciate it is extra work to add this but just a thought.

Only just registered but on the face of it the site seems to allow adding a review but not looking at other reviews, is that correct?

8. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    All book reviews/comments for each book would be displayed in chronological order.
    example: http://www.kirxklox.com/project/comments.php?id=758

I am going to be adding some other functions to it at a later date. This will make the Bibliography more user friendly than it is at the present time. One of the things I would like to do is to allow members to Edit their own Reviews/Comments. Right now it is a one shot affair.

I just approved your registration. Please test drive the Project.

9. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

I'd like to invite those who prepare book reviews to post them on this forum as well. If you create them with the word 'review' in the subject, as Fortunat does, it will be easy to pull them all up with a search.

Regards,
    Mike

10. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually just today I "edited" all the Bokreviews on this forum which I have posted over the years to have the subject line of all of them start with the word "Review". Four did not conform before, but now all 33 say "Review".

Fortunat

11. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    Kirx Klox Special Project "Bibliography" is just that, a bibliography. The only use for it would be to assist in finding books on the Internet that you might be interested in. Use the NAWCC LARC Online Catalog to see if they have a book that you have identified.

12. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    jmclaugh: How did it work out for you? Did you find it easy, difficult, or hard? Did you try the UBB code to see how that would work? Did you find any surprises?

I am sure that the surprise was that all Member's comments are Automatically Approved and added to the DB and served to the Web Pages.

13. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kirxklox,
    Other than it is a bit time consuming to find the book you want to review actually posting a review was straightforward and it was posted immediately which did slightly surprise me. I did write it in Word first and then pasted in as easier to spell check and review it there.

By UBB code I guess you mean the bold, italic etc text options above the comment? Haven't tried these yet as just wanted to keep it simple like me :) but will next time.

14. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

I have thousands of publications in my collection. Would you prefer we review items in your lists or add things we have that you don't?
    Also , do you want an opinion as to the actual worth of a publication? There are many books that have been produced that were nothing more than vanity products, filled with errors or improper information that would not be worth the time to read less spend money in theirt purchase.

15. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    Both, New items and Comments on both old and new. I have provided only 150+ entries of the 2,549 that are listed from an old Bibliography publication I have. All the others are by members. Duplicate entries can be weeded out or merged depending on information. Many books have Editions and different Print Dates that should be retained.

I consider Approprite remarks desirable. If the book is Trash, say so. One person's Sows Ear is another's Diamond.

You can use any name to register with, but I must know who you are in the signature Block.

If I was to attempt to do this by myself, I would never make more of a difference than a slight drop in an ocean.

16. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

Thanks sam, I will help

17. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    There are actually THREE horological Projects that are User Interfaced;

Dictionary
    A Bibliography
    Tools Catalogue

Some would call these eBooks, except they are ongoing Projects.

Any of these are accessible by Registering and then Log In (after I approve your registration)

18. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    jmclaugh: You have already helped me identify three areas that the programming was not working correctly. This will only help those in the future using it. I am still working on getting the SMSL to parse correctly.

19. Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
    Could someone direct me to the url or link to Richard Watkins' annotated bibliography?

For some reason, after several searches, I haven't come up with it. I thought it was discussed and linked to recently, because I was reading in it very recently.

Thanks, Modersohn

20. Richard Watkins

21. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have worked out the glitches in The Special Project Bibliography. Also added an Image Button to help identify those entries that have Comments.

I will be adding Instructions for the use of the UBB code that is being used. For those that are adding comments use only one Return at the end of a paragraph. This will ensure a single skipped line between Paragraphs. It is recommended that you use an OL (Ordered List) to list Chapters.

22. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Question: are books not valued as much as they once were among collectors of watches and clocks?

Jon

23. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

Hey, an easy question! Based on how long it took for some beautiful small edition books to sell out over the years I don't think many collectors were ever big book readers. I have seen thousands of Bulletins over the years at flea markets , etc. that had never been removed from their envelope.
    The Horological books category is one of the least used on this message board.
    The questions asked on this message board and others often reflect a lack of interest in reading. Usually the books that seem to be of interest for the most part are books with pictures and prices.
    I would have a tough time in a world without time to read! Jon, I think the avid readers and collectors of literature are a small group.

John Nagle http://www.geocities.com/mrb2132000/mypage

24. Richard Watkins

It makes me very sad, but the vast majority of people are only interested in "What is it worth?" and "How much profit can I make?" In reality they are not collectors, but amateur or professional dealers.

Indeed, I wonder why the NAWCC has so many members when so many are just not interested learning and understanding.

25. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They are interested in learning. Most do not use the Internet, or if they do they are using the search engines to find specific items of interest. That is why there are so many different Web Sites about HOROLOGY.

That is the main reason I developed Kirx Klox Special Projects. It is the easiest means to colate a specific topic, and present it as a Cross Browser Friendly Web Pages.

26. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because they simply want to trade and profit.

I believe a New Museum Society is in order!

Jon

27. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jon: How much are you willing to DONATE to this Great Museum Society? Are you willing to run for Office? Are you willing to put in the time to make sure it would FLOURISH?

I could even rename Kirx Klox Special Project to "The Great Museum Society" just for you.

28. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ignoring the typical SK remarks..........

A New Museum Society would exist for collectors, educators to research, study, discuss and create scholarly works for horologists--including but not limited to, educational displays, forums, seminars, study groups, etc. to collaborate in gathering horological facts in eliminating fabrications and revisionist theories and the repeated mis information found daily.

Such a group would not need any political structure and be devoid of marts. The goal would be to study, research and create educational tools for the collector. A horological book list is a start, such as Fortunate began, Sam is generating on his Special Projects, and Richard's downloads. However, this would require a large volunteer effort and I just do not see too much interest in horological books as either a collection or an interest.

Personally, I believe collectors are missing the boat on collecting horological books, at least here in the USA--these may be a BEST BUY in horology. Possibly there is much more interest in GB(?). Attempts at all of this is has been ongoing on a small scale at chapter 149.

Jon