King of Newport Isle of Wight, hooded alarm

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by novicetimekeeper, Apr 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    D.th.munroe and musicguy like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has a certain something I thought, wouldn't normally go for one this style and this late but it just looked right, and it is all done. Even found somewhere to hang it!

PatH likes this.
  4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    And your partner approves of another clock?;)

Rob

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He doesn't mind as long as it isn't running. He likes the look of them.

6. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    It is an odd one, that. The use of a verge so late, the alarm, the style applied to a hooded wall clock. Still, it is interesting and it is very distinctive and you won’t find another any rime soon!

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clock. Nice, clean, refined Recency clock. The verge is the alarm as it has an anchor with longer pendulum.
    I think that clock is in my watch list. Glad you won. So if you ever want to unload it, I'm interested :thumb: Meanwhile, enjoy the simple beauty, and the ticking!

8. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes the crown wheel you see is for the alarm, funnily enough I have a part movement of a posted frame alarm where I worked out how the crownwheel and verge were mounted and this is exactly how I imagined it.

I'm interested to see how original the case turns out to be. I'm on holiday now so can pick it up next week. I would like to find some dates for when the guy was in Newport.

It wasn't in the budget, I'm supposed to be spending money on restoring clocks at the moment, but if it is as good as it looks it can stay, will just delay the restoration schedule a bit (and I might have to sell a few more bits on ebay!)

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice and I can see why you went for it Nick. I can't imagine there would be many clockmakers on the IoW but from a quick look through a long list of Kings in Loomes it seems there is only one, King IoW 1854, probably Thomas.

10. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 novicetimekeeper, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Ah you did better than me, my books are not as up to date. I had wondered about Thomas, I only found Christian in Yarmouth 1836 but that might be Norfolk.

1854 is rather later than I would have thought for this, I think it is 1820/30 sort of look.

The method of fixing the dial makes me think of early dial clocks, I assume it is for the servants but it looks quite posh doesn't it? I need to see the case to work out how original that is but it looks encouraging.

BTW, given where I live I see quite a few IoW longcase, there was a very prolific maker there in the 18th century and he must have had apprentices which would have built up a bit of a hotspot. He was in Newport too. The IoW was quite a posh place later too with Osborne House and Queen Victoria making it a favourite retreat. He didn't die till 1861 so I don't think we can blame the black on Victoria's extended period of mourning.

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked it up today, two hours drive each way. Good news is the case looks original, so it was a bargain.

Bad news is they swore blind that I had everything in the pictures even though I was convinced I was missing a weight. Now I am home I check the pictures and I am indeed missing a weight, and the rope!

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got an email saying I had everything in the pictures so I rang them up and we had words.

They are posting the rest.

13. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    awesome! other than that hiccup, is it as nice as it appears in the pics? do you think the finish is original?

14. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case has been refinished, but I have no reason to believe it wasn't originally black. I took it to my friend the clockmaker yesterday who suggested it to me and he says it is all original, which was my view without my glasses!

15. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha ha... Usually people put on rose colored glasses when they want the view to match their desire. I guess as we get older (myself included), we can just take off our glasses for the same effect! :p

Tom

16. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't need glasses to drive, but I struggle to see detail without them. When I drive somewhere I often forget to put them on when I arrive.

Even without glasses I could see a weight was missing!

The black finish is recent, and was wrapped in something before fully hardened so need to sort that on the front top moulding, but I think it is right. The gold isn't well done but ok. The glass is old, the case original. The pendulum is not from this clock I'm sure as it has been run on rope since being restored and this pendulum has not been used for years. However that's not a difficult fix.

Everything else is fine, and now I will get the little lead counterweight I can use it as a guide for the style of alarm weights.

Unlike most of my clocks it has arrived in fully restored condition so it really was a bargain. I'm currently reducing my collection but I think this will stay.

17. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With or without my glasses I like the look of that clock. The style is very nice.

18. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You love black cases, so it was always going to be, but I agree, this just has a certain touch of class.

19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some pics. There is a threaded hole on the front plate not in use. I think this was the original bellstand. I don't know why it was moved. However there is no steady pin hole, perhaps it was a change of mind during build?

Hard to decide if the case has always been black, I think it probably has. There seems to be evidence of old gesso.

IMG_3423.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3434.JPG IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3432.JPG IMG_3431.JPG IMG_3430.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3428.JPG IMG_3427.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3422.JPG

20. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, and if you look closely, I think we can say it was Thomas.

21. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oh dear, slipped in an 8 day and an out of focus one. My eyesight is too bad for thumbnails!

22. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've found an auction listing for a pocket watch signed Thomas King of Newport IoW hallmarked London 1813. That sounds much more encouraging.

lot 357 page 54

Byrnes Auctioneers

23. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’ve never seen anyone engrave their seatboard screws. The initials TK on them is nice attention to detail!

24. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a great detail, I love it. Settles the name too. The watch signature is a much closer date too I think this is 1820-1830 sort of period.

25. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One good thing about smaller clocks such as this, is marriages and other modifications are not as much of an issue (opposed to larger clocks such as longcase and Vienna Regulators).

I didn't wear glasses until I was 48. Now, I leave them on all the time. I actually wear safety glasses with full side shields most of the time. I can't read my mobile screen at all without my glasses. With them 20/20 , or maybe a tiny bit better. They are bifocals so I now trip over small steps if I'm not careful. They are also transitions, so I have sunglasses built in. I spent about a grand on 2 pair on industrial glasses over the last couple years, but my eyes are worth it. Some stuff is still too small, and my eyes definitely grew dependent on my glasses as my sight without them seems to have deteriorated.

26. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was told by the optician when I had my eyes tested at 38 he would see me in two years and sort out my glasses. When I asked if my eyesight was that bad he said no everybody has reading glasses at 40. Well I made it until I was 56 but now I'm getting blind as a bat.

The alarm has a new home, though it pinched the spot from a lantern alarm 90 odd years senior. The difference is this space isn't over a radiator, the lantern clock will go to a new position just clipping the end of one.

The door can't open wide enough to clout it.

DSC_1234.JPG