King George III clock movement issues.

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country
This is a follow-up from a previous post.

I have gotten the movement running in beat. Very happy with the progress.
However, the minute hand drops down by itself after 1 o'clock.
Also, the chimes don't seem to work at all. Is there something that I am missing?
Do you need more information or pictures?
Thank you in advance.

20220513_150435.jpg 20220529_075239.jpg 20220529_075401.jpg 20220529_075341.jpg

Reactions: Robbie Pridgen

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
the minute hand drops down by itself after 1 o'clock.
How far does it drop?

the chimes don't seem to work at all.
Your clock doesn't chime, it strikes. A chiming clock plays a tune such as Westminster chime. Your clock goes 'bong' for the appropriate number of times.

Your pictures don't show it, but I am presuming you have the bell for the strike?

Does the gathering pallet and rack move when the clock is in the strike position?

JTD

Reactions: wow

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
There is a tensioner spring in the motion works that is probably not tight enough to keep the hand from falling.it may be behind the wheel on the right front of the movement.it must be snug against the back of the wheel. Also, be sure the minute hand is tightly held in place by a tapered pin through the arbor. Most have a convex washer which holds the hand straight and tight.

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country
I have the bell. Something seems to be locked in the movement for the bell. Clock is running with a good beat.

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country
No, I don't know what it looks like or how it is installed. Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Is there a lock in the back of the movement that keeps the hammer in place? Is it possible it is engaged?
It seems to be under the hammer.

20220529_075401.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Mike, we need to see what is happening when you install the hands and advance the minute hand. I suspect that most of your problems are on the front of the clock with the motion works. The wheel on the right of the main arbor has pins that lift the lever that controls the strike train. The tension washer I mentioned is critical to all this working. Please make a video on YouTube and post it here for us to see.
Will

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country
Mike, we need to see what is happening when you install the hands and advance the minute hand. I suspect that most of your problems are on the front of the clock with the motion works. The wheel on the right of the main arbor has pins that lift the lever that controls the strike train. The tension washer I mentioned is critical to all this working. Please make a video on YouTube and post it here for us to see.
Will
I definitely think that you are correct with the tension washer. Where would I be able to find a correct one?
Also as far as the bell is concerned, is the bracket under the hammer a reason the hammer is locked in place? I am not familiar with these movements but it looks like a silent mode or transit bracket.
Thank you in advance.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
That bracket is the stop for the hammer I think. Can’t see the whole hammer set-up. The hammer probably strikes on the inside of the bell.

Mike H.

Feb 26, 2022
Country
That bracket is the stop for the hammer I think. Can’t see the whole hammer set-up. The hammer probably strikes on the inside of the bell.
Thank you
I was able to slide the bracket back and got the hammer to strike the outside of the bell. Loud Bell. Lol.
However, I think the lower arm is bent and not allowing the bell to strike on the half our. I need more time to look into that issue.
For a clock that hasn't worked in over 70 years, it is
I was able to move the bracket and the bell strikes on the hour. Loudly!
I now have to look into it not striking on the half hour.
For a clock that has been through a lot and not run in 70 years, it's performance is improving daily.
Thank you everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller