• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

King Arthur grandfather clock pendulum size? what gives

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Hello everyone
So i have here a common King aurthur grandfather clock that is in beautiful condition, I purchased for 50 bucks from the original owners, with a hermle 1151-05h 94cm movement the current pendulum size is 34in long with a bob size of 81/2in wide, the bob still had the original plastic protection on it, my question is, is this pendulum too small, reason i ask is that the movement is marked 94cm which is 37in and the current pendulum is 34in which is 85cm, it keeps great time, so what gives, is this the wrong pendulum.
thank you for reading and your time
Bruce

20210913_174350.jpg 20210913_174357.jpg 20210919_083857.jpg 20210919_084120.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
If the pendulum was incorrect length the clock would not keep time.

I don'[t know why you described it is as "King Arthur model". Ir is a typical "broken arch" or "swan neck" case more commonly used by clock collectors. It probably dates from 1980s.

Andy Dervan

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Where are you measuring the pendulum length from? The 'missing' three inches may be accounted for there.

The movement was made 36 years ago and if it is still keeping 'great time', as you say, it would seem that the pendulum is correct.

Others may know more or better.

JTD

I see Andy Dervan beat me to the 'send' button!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
What's the length of pendulum leader as indicated below? Might that make up the additional length? (I assume you are simply measuring the length of the rod.)

Hermle_LI.jpg

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
If the pendulum was incorrect length the clock would not keep time.

I don'[t know why you described it is as "King Arthur model". Ir is a typical "broken arch" or "swan neck" case more commonly used by clock collectors. It probably dates from 1980s.

Andy Dervan
There was a sticker on the inside of the door that said king aurthur clock co. I did take it off though, the sticker looked original, it does keep very good time.
Thank you

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
What's the length of pendulum leader as indicated below? Might that make up the additional length? (I assume you are simply measuring the length of the rod.)

View attachment 673174
Hello
I think you nailed it there, I did measure the physical pendulum its self, from the top where it hangs on the leader to the end of the rod, i did not measure the leader which looks to be about 3in, i did not know the leader was part of the measurement, today i will measure it.
Does the leader factor in for the over all length of the pendulum?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That's and old south Alabama clock. Made in LA (lower Alabama). :)

There is no need at all to measure the pendulum length.

When and if you get it running, it will either keep time or not. If not, you would then adjust the small nut at the bottom of the pendulum up or down to adjust the rate.

Your problem will likely be a worn out movement that will need to be overhauled or replaced.

Willie X

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
That's and old south Alabama clock. Made in LA (lower Alabama). :)

There is no need at all to measure the pendulum length.

When and if you get it running, it will either keep time or not. If not, you would then adjust the small nut at the bottom of the pendulum up or down to adjust the rate.

Your problem will likely be a worn out movement that will need to be overhauled or replaced.

Willie X
Hi Wille
The clock runs great, it actually keeps the same time with my digital clock and computer time, all functions, strike, time, chimes, work as they should, the reason i ask about the length is the movement calls for a 94cm 37in and the psychical pendulum i have is 85cm 34in, why? There is no need at all to measure the pendulum length? if this is the case, i can then buy a 37in pendulum with a 11in bob?
Thank you

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Does the leader factor in for the over all length of the pendulum?
Often enough, yes, at least from a certain point. All in all, if the clock keeps good time now, then the pendulum is likely the original.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Often enough, yes, at least from a certain point. All in all, if the clock keeps good time now, then the pendulum is likely the original.
Yes the clock keeps great time, I think I finally understand the different measurements the Germans use we use here in the US as far as pendulum length goes
Thank you

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If you replace the pendulum you will have to re-rate the clock and the old movement might not be up to driving a heavier pendulum. Lots of people want to go by the numbers but in reality, it's not that simple. Willie X

Reactions: baw0104

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
If you replace the pendulum you will have to re-rate the clock and the old movement might not be up to driving a heavier pendulum. Lots of people want to go by the numbers but in reality, it's not that simple. Willie X
Hi Wille, thank you, yes I am finding that out quickly, it is not as simple as it seems.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Thank you everyone for your time and help with my questions, I really appreciate it, this site has great people and a wealth of information.
Thank you
Bruce

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Thank you for posting the movement literature containing the company name. It was the first time I heard about "King Arthur Clock Company"; I have been following and researching a number of these companies and published 3 articles in NAWCC Watch and Clock Bulletin. and 2 articles are awaiting publication.

There were a number of clock companies in 1960s into 1990s making grandfather clocks and only Howard Miller Clock Company has survived.

Andy Dervan

Reactions: baw0104

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Thank you for posting the movement literature containing the company name. It was the first time I heard about "King Arthur Clock Company"; I have been following and researching a number of these companies and published 3 articles in NAWCC Watch and Clock Bulletin. and 2 articles are awaiting publication.

There were a number of clock companies in 1960s into 1990s making grandfather clocks and only Howard Miller Clock Company has survived.

Andy Dervan
Hi Andy
If you would like the original owners manual for this king Arthur clock I have, I can send you a copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-