King Arthur 1161 grandfather clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by swood, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I was recently given this clock. The second hand only works when slightly pushed on. It makes several rotations and then stops. The minute hand is now hanging up when it gets near the 9. The minute hand worked for about 5 days and then started having this problem. Any suggestions to fix these problems would be appreciated.

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Welcome to the board,

I would remove the second hand (it will likely just pull off) and then close the shaft very slightly so that it fits more tightly on the arbor. As for the minute hand, what is it hanging up on?

It would be a tremendous help if you would post clear, sharp photos of the clock. Without photos we really have very little idea of what we are dealing with.

JTD

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Photos would indeed be most helpful. I would run the clock without the seconds hand until you figure out the sticking problem, and then apply JTDs recommendation. Hanging up at 9 could be related to chimes (Playing the odds and assuming this model does have chimes - more photos, photos photos help). I presume the hour doesn't matter - the minute hand hangs up every time at 9 and 9 only not other times in the chimes/strike cycle (more details, details, details help).

What does it take to restart it? Just starting the pendulum again, or do you need to move the minute hand?

If the problem just started, it is probably not something like a bent tooth that you might find if you just got the clock. I suspect we can help you find the source and recommend a fix, but the more we can see and know, the more we can help...

Tom

4. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #4 swood, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    Hopefully I have attached photos. The minute hand has to be moved to get it going again. The pendulum continues to move. Thanks for the help!

20200731_131202.jpg 20200731_131140.jpg 20200731_131140.jpg 20200731_131103.jpg

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks for the photos. You said the minute hand hangs up near the 9, but the photos don't show that, the hands ar both at 11. It does look as if it could be possible that the minute hand is catching on the hour hand. Have a careful look and see. If so you can just bend the minute hand a little so that it does not foul the hour hand.

But since your photos don't show what you originally mentioned, it is hard to know.

JTD

6. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    We pulled the minute and hour hand out on the shaft before we tried to straighten the minute hand and the minute hand started working immediately. When we tried to set the time, the minute hand again stopped at the 9. I have attached 2 more pictures.

20200731_134706.jpg 20200731_134553.jpg

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Not sure why you pulled the minute and hour hands out. You should just have bent the minute hand slightly if it was fouling the hour hand. No need to move the hour hand at all.

Do you mean the clock was ticking away and the hands were turning and then stopped at the 9? Or do you mean that you were turning the minute hand manually to set the time and it wouldn't move past the 9?

JTD

8. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    The clock was ticking, the hands were turning by themselves, as soon as the minute hand got around the 9 the minute hand stopped. If you manually move the minute hand past the 9, it will continue to move on by itself. Minute hand is not binding on hour hand. The pendulum keeps going.

9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, the clock continues running, but the minute hand does not move? That sounds like the tension spring is loose. The tension spring allows the clock to be set by turning the minute hand (otherwise you would have to wait until the time matched the clock and start the clock). Is it very easy to set the time - almost as if there is no resistance? Another possibility is that there is a missing tooth on the minute hand wheel, but that would be harder to explain how it could break. There is not a lot of force on that section.

Tom

10. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    The minute hand is very easy to move

11. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, that is in line with my first thought. The tension washer is cupped so it has a spring like quality (washer is the more correct term, but it's function is more like spring). It adds friction to the minute hand allowing it to slip for setting, but not too much slip so that the movement is able to rotate the minute hand. It sounds like your tension washer has lost its springiness. They usually have two more lobes. Here is a photo of one (highlighted by the red arrow), but I suspect it looks different in your clock. You may be able to get to it by removing the face, but if it is internal to the movement, the movement will need to be disassembled. It either needs to be bent to increase the spring force, or replaced if it is broken.

Lovely clock by the way. I have a King Arthur with a similar case, but not with tubular bells (I'm envious).

tension_washer.jpg

primary.jpg

Tom

12. swood

swood Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I appreciate your help. I don't think we are qualified to fix this problem. I've had the clock about a week. Thanks again