Kienzle Zodiac Clock - any info appreciated

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by litwaveent, Mar 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. litwaveent

litwaveent New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I am looking for any additional information I can find regarding this Kienzle (made in Germany ) zodiac clock. I have not been able to find any clock exactly like it anywhere online. I am unsure of its age. It is missing the wind-up key and I would not know how to go about finding one that fits.

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks for your time!

IMG_1845.jpg 51149403983__1A1897D0-81CC-4854-8B9D-12B7B08AAA6E.jpg IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1876.jpg IMG_1877.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Your Kienzle clock was likely made late 1950s/1960s but someone else may be able to date the movement more accurately.

These zodiac clocks were made by a number of different German manufacturers and were very popular for many years. There are thousands of them around.

As for finding a key, that is no problem. Either measure the width across the winding arbor with a micrometer and get a suitably sized key from one of the clock supply houses (Timesavers for instance), or it would probably be easier to take the clock to your local clock repairer. He will likely have a box of odd keys and will have one that fits your clock. Keys are very inexpensive.

Hope this helps.

JTD

3. litwaveent

litwaveent New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Country Flag:
    JTD,

Thank you so very much for your help! We were able to repair it ourselves and now we're in the process of cleaning it up! Your info was extremely helpful to us. Take care! :coolsign::cuckoo:

4. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You're very welcome. Glad you are getting it fixed. Do you understand the instructions on the little label?

JTD

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting clock but strange that the mainspring is not contained in a barrel.

Ron