• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Help Kienzle Movement

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
I have recently purchased a Art Deco grandfather clock with a Kienzle movement. The striking and chimes have been deactivated and I would appreciate any advice on how to reactivate them and location of advance lever, if any.

3B89FD59-D900-48BF-8D3D-F6F6329398AD.jpeg 29509526-8D0F-4AB4-80A6-3E691489EAC0.jpeg 57CF0851-A315-488C-AF21-8537B7CFCE07.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

It would be helpful to know exactly how the strike/chimes have been deactivated. Are some parts missing? If you could explain exactly what has been done to stop them I am sure you can be helped.

Close up photos of the movement, particularly the strike/chime mechanism, would also be a great help.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The hammers might have been locked in the upper position for moving. There is a bar that can be moved up out of the way if that's the case.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
This is Movement N in the Kienzle catalogs. It is a smaller weight-driven movement that plays Westminster on all quarters and strikes the hours. It did not normally come with a silent lever so more photos of the hammers and chime/strike trains would help us identify what may be causing the chimes and strike to not function. In the odd chance it has a silencer, it will be a small lever at the 3 o'clock position: up for silent, down for chime.

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
Welcome to the board.

It would be helpful to know exactly how the strike/chimes have been deactivated. Are some parts missing? If you could explain exactly what has been done to stop them I am sure you can be helped.

Close up photos of the movement, particularly the strike/chime mechanism, would also be a great help.

JTD
I do not know how the chimes were deactivated as the previous owner has passed away.
Striking and chiming hammers are free to move.
There is a small lever to the left of movement, from the rear, which looks as if it advances striking or chiming. Again, from rear, chiming is to LHS and striking to RHS.

E597002D-7996-4E85-9D50-1C879D94F855.jpeg A251EC28-DEE2-471C-9723-9E739BA47D84.jpeg 112B8F78-F4F7-4686-8CBF-1C3162F4EBEB.jpeg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The small lever is the chime train's locking disc lever. If you gently push it down, the chimes should start up. If all else fails you might have to take the dial off and see if any linkage levers have been altered or removed.

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
Lever does not start chimes. Looks like the face needs to be removed.
The 3 weights are 8lbs, 6lbs and 4 1/4 lbs approx.
8lbs is for time. Do you know correct location of other 2 weights?

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
One has to wonder if the chime/strike function were intentionally deactivated, or if there is just some problem that caused them to stop working. Chiming and striking are initiated by parts on the front of the movement. It would be helpful to see the front with the dial and hands removed. I f someone "tied something up", it may be on the front of the movement. Try to get more light on your pictures; don't shoot against a bright background (back lighting),

RC

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
On most German movements the heaviest weight drives chimes, lightest weight drives time, and the remaining weight drives strike. There were exceptions such as the older Kieninger movements so this may or may not be an exception to the usual rule. Movement N was fairly unique as it was the first small-size weight driven chime movement to come from any of the German manufacturers.

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
One has to wonder if the chime/strike function were intentionally deactivated, or if there is just some problem that caused them to stop working. Chiming and striking are initiated by parts on the front of the movement. It would be helpful to see the front with the dial and hands removed. I f someone "tied something up", it may be on the front of the movement. Try to get more light on your pictures; don't shoot against a bright background (back lighting),

RC
I was assured that the chime/strike were deactivated and that the heaviest weight drove the time. My secure Heath-Robinson rig will have to be relocated to near the window to enable me to safely work on the clock and also facilitate photography when necessary.
I also need to humour my wife who has already accused me of turning the dining room into a workshop.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
From the 1926 catalog is this head-on view of Movement N. Your movement should look like this with the dial removed:

Movement N.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Heaviest weight is always on the chimes. The other two are usually equal, but if different the lightest will go on the strike side. Often, when wear takes its toll on clocks and they stop running, the symptom is "cured" by a heavier weight. So your movement might be in that condition, and the chime side weight has been transferred to the time to mask wear, making the chime unusable. The chime sets up the strike, so both chime and strike would not work.

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
I have moved movement and “rig” for more light and better access.
I have changed weights to positions advised by shutterbug. Clock still runs ok.
I am now removing hands before I remove dial. I have removed pin, spacers, minute hand and hour hand securing pin. Hour hand tubular shaft is attached to gear wheel behind dial.
How do I release hour hand? Will it come away with dial if I remove 4 pins securing dial?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
How do I release hour hand? Will it come away with dial if I remove 4 pins securing dial?
[/QUOTE]

No it won't. You must pull it off before you remove the dial. It is a friction fit.

JTD

Dave87

Jan 11, 2021
Country
This is view with dial removed. Most of components seem to be there. Some in different positions from chimeclockfan illustration. There is an empty tiny threaded hole towards centre top with components missing compared with illustration. Perhaps this explains disablement of chime/strike features. D892670B-41FE-42A8-99B5-80AEAEDD54C0.jpeg

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
There is an empty tiny threaded hole towards centre top with components missing compared with illustration.
That hole should have a pin in it, to prevent the long lever being lifted too high. Like this one: 2017-10-02 09.23.07.jpg
The absence of the pin would not prevent chiming.

[Edit] I mis-described the purpose of the missing pin. The missing pin is intended to stop the rack from rotating too far to the right - which would only happen if the clock was turned on its side.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your rack is rotated to the wrong side. The strike can't work like that. You may have to wiggle it past the pin on the chime count cam. It appears that the pin is being stopped by the rack too, so neither can work.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVGB
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit