Kienzle clock - saved from the dump

Altdorfer

May 19, 2020
Country
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the forum and fairly new to Horology as a hobby.

Here Germany once a month there is a Sperrmüll where people put things out for the "Bin lorry" to be taken to the dump - but people scout around beforehand for "useful" items.

My wife spotted this clock destined for the rubbish dump in a pile of "Sperrmüll" and but bought it home for me. Someone had removed the striking train and looked like it had also been drenched in oil and then left in a dusty basement!

20191202_203203 (Copy).jpg 20191202_203227 (Copy).jpg 20191202_203502 (Copy).jpg

I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled it with a new pendulum suspension spring and it seems to keep good time.

It may be a very generic movement and clock, however I am pleased I managed to salvage it from being crushed up and unceremoniously dumped. It has also sparked my interest in practical horology.

20200826_203259 (Copy).jpg Running.JPG

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum!

The following is some information on your movement.

D.R.P. 147023 is a German patent for a striking movement with a countwheel etc. in front of the front plate was granted about October 1903 with protection effective from 5 Dec 1902 to Erhard Robert Schlenker, of Schwenningen.

Ironically, however, E.R. Schlenker was not the Schlenker of Schlenker & Kienzle, the maker of your movement.

The trademark on your movement was registered in 1892.

Based on the above, we know your movement was made no earlier than 1903.

The style of clock is a "free swinger".

t may be a very generic movement and clock, however I am pleased I managed to salvage it from being crushed up and unceremoniously dumped. It has also sparked my interest in practical horology.
I would not call your movement a generic movement and your wife and you did a great job of salvaging the movement!

Regards.

Reactions: Altdorfer

Altdorfer

May 19, 2020
Country
Welcome to the forum!

The following is some information on your movement.

D.R.P. 147023 is a German patent for a striking movement with a countwheel etc. in front of the front plate was granted about October 1903 with protection effective from 5 Dec 1902 to Erhard Robert Schlenker, of Schwenningen.

Ironically, however, E.R. Schlenker was not the Schlenker of Schlenker & Kienzle, the maker of your movement.

The trademark on your movement was registered in 1892.

Based on the above, we know your movement was made no earlier than 1903.

The style of clock is a "free swinger".

I would not call your movement a generic movement and your wife and you did a great job of salvaging the movement!

Regards.
Thank you so much for the welcome and also the information on the Clock - really interesting and so nice to learn a bit of it's history. I'm certainly really happy my wife salvaged it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-