Kienzle Clock Identification

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by jafleisher, Sep 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jafleisher

jafleisher New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
  2. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi jafleisher,

Welcome to the message boards. What you have here is known as a German Box Clock, primarily because the case is made like a box. These were popular around the 20's and 30's so this is not really an early clock. Some of the other guys can probably nail down the date a little closer for you with some of the data stamped on the movement. Good job of taking pictures of all the numbers on the movement!

FYI is is better to upload pictures directly to this web site because 3rd party site pictures have a habit of vanishing. 5 years down the line somebody will read your post and try to look at your pictures and they won't be there anymore. If you go here

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?134317-1-How-to-Add-a-Picture-from-your-PC-or-Laptop

there are instructions on uploading your pictures to the forums.

Welcome again!!
    Walt

3. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Your clock is, as has already been said, of the type known as a German Box Clock. It's difficult to determine its age exactly, since this style was made for quite a long time without very much change.

However, we can say that is is not earlier than the mid-1920s (this is according to the dates of the patents and DRGM numbers). The style of logo (winged clock) was registered in 1923.

As Kienzle started production in about 1883 this cannot really be considered 'one of the very early clocks by Kienzle'. It is a mass-produced clock produced in huge quantities and sold throughout the world. These clocks were one of the 'work horses' of the German clock industry between the wars and although they are very common, they were well made and lasted well.

With care and regular servicing your clock should last many more years.

JTD

4. jafleisher

jafleisher New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks a ton! Yeah, I tried uploading my photos directly to the site, but I guess it wouldn't work because I was in Safari. I'll try to add them through Chrome.

5. jafleisher

jafleisher New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
  6. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You're welcome - and now your images will stay safely on the website.

JTD