Kienzle 4 glass

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
Not seen one of these before. Are they unusual? Quality is not stunning, case has had poor restore attempt and will need serious polish, movement seems relatively untouched, but suspension gimble is missing and back glass cracked. I am guessing its pre 1915, but might be just post WW1, the serial no. is 129224, no markings on the pendulum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
Les -

It looks like it might be a marriage. I have no idea if Kienzle made clocks cased like this - John will have a more authoritative answer - and the pendulum is the later one that I believe was offered with cheaper clocks, before they switched to a four-ball style. The suspension bracket looks like the "C" type - what you're missing is the "C" piece that rode on a screw point to make the suspension somewhat self-adjusting. It also appears that it may have had the two circular suspension spring guards.

A question - are the two nuts that hold the movement platform to the columns male or female? On the JUF case I have, they are male, and the inner tops of the columns are threaded steel. I'll compare your finial with a Kienzle I have that is almost identical once I get home, as well as the serial number.

Best regards,

Mark

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
Les -

It looks like it might be a marriage. I have no idea if Kienzle made clocks cased like this - John will have a more authoritative answer - and the pendulum is the later one that I believe was offered with cheaper clocks, before they switched to a four-ball style. The suspension bracket looks like the "C" type - what you're missing is the "C" piece that rode on a screw point to make the suspension somewhat self-adjusting. It also appears that it may have had the two circular suspension spring guards.

A question - are the two nuts that hold the movement platform to the columns male or female? On the JUF case I have, they are male, and the inner tops of the columns are threaded steel. I'll compare your finial with a Kienzle I have that is almost identical once I get home, as well as the serial number.

Best regards,

Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for your interest. Yes, I agree that is the c-type suspension which is missing, and I have a donor. The platform nuts are the usual female. The movement and pillars/platform are dirty compared with the rest of the clock, but someone has tried to clean the case before. I believe all is original.

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
Having started to strip and clean this clock, I am reasonably certain that this is not the original movement. The original platform had square feet at the base, which suggests it had either a JUF, Huber or Hauck movement at one time.
Is anybody familiar with this case?

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Les, very observant! I believe that the square feet at the base would confirm this is a marriage. Ingulphus mentioned earlier that he had not seen a Kienzle in that case previously, neither have I. For reference, we had a lengthy discussion about JUF clocks that used this specific 4-Glass case in this thread. I have only seen it with JUF movements, and it is shown in the JUF 1910 catalog as model No. 225. It may be possible that Huber or Hauck also used the case but I've not seen any yet.

Your movement was made about 1915, possibly 3rd quarter that year. The pendulum (RG No. 38) was first introduced in mid-1913, about 16 months after the lantern pinion design was patented. These pendulums usually have a serial number stamped in the bottom cover, if it is the same as the movement serial number then it would be original to the clock. Otherwise, that is also a marriage.

Perhaps one of these days you can find a JUF clock with the large silvered metal dial and mounted on a standard brass base, that you can "upgrade" by mounting in this case. The Kienzle can be put on the JUF base, as they actually used identical bases for some of their glass dome clocks in this time period.

John Hubby
>>>>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff