• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Kieninger wall clock, strange striking issue

Mikeymike

Jan 20, 2017
Country
Good day! I have a question about my Kieninger wall clock:

Normally, the clock strikes exactly at the hour and and the half hour. During the past eight months (eight months ago, I've had it serviced), it has happened to me three times that, directly after pulling the weights, the clock would strike just a tad after the hour or the half hour, varying from a couple of seconds to a minute or two. This doesn't correct itself. It happened to me twice in november, and the third time was just this night.
At every occasion, to figure out what could be the problem, I've tried to unloose the nut that secures the hands, but: it won't come loose (I am only using my hands). The weird thing is: all three times, after my failed attempts to unloose the nut, the clock strikes the way it did before: exactly at the hour and the half hour! What could be the issue here? Is the nut on too tight? Or could pulling the weight be the source?

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-09 om 21.51.45.png

Last edited:

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I would imagine there is some play in the minute hand shaft which would not be unusual in an aged clock. Pulling the weight shifts it. Messing with the hand nut pushes it back. Just my guess.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Wear problems, in the groove vs out of the groove, stuff like that. What tracer said.
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It could be something that the repairman missed. See if he's willing to look at it again for you. I have a one year satisfaction guarantee, and he might also.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
This is a split thread.

Yes, take it back. The two problems may be related and your repair person might need to be reconsidered also ... Willie X

Mikeymike

Jan 20, 2017
Country
Thank you, Willie. This is a different clock actually, but I will reconsider my repair person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidwr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-