Solved Kieninger stop works retainer

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'll never buy Kieninger retainers again. Is it because I figured out a simple way to remove them without damage? Probably not. It's because last time I needed one I ordered 30.
But, If I have a rush on Kieninger movements to repair and use up the 30 I won't buy any more. Check out these short vids.

Reactions: Rod Schaffter

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Dan!

More details would be welcome! What size / kind of wire are you using? How are you threading it through the retainers?

Thanks!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Hey, Tim. It's just common soft wire. Utility wire I call it. It comes in handy a lot. It's 0.60 MM. I just threaded it into the fingers on the retainer and as it entered I just pulled a little bend in and inserted a little more to get it to come out on the other side of the finger and then kept pulling that bend as to end up with almost a ring as it came out. Once I got close to the center and got the 2 ends of the wire together I did the opposite side and it pulled right off. Very simple and if you don't have any new ones you can use them again, there's no damage. Try it out.
Thanks, Danny

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Thanks, Simon. First I used 4 wires, one for each finger tab but then I tried only 2 and it worked just as well.
Have a great night, Danny

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have one, but it's clumsy and I prefer the heat/pry bars method most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ememess
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre