• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Kieninger chime and strike setup

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
Hello all!

I'm working on a Kieninger "K" movement. I've been watching the chimes and strikes and just can't seem to get it sync'd up properly.

My question is this: Is there a resource or book similar to the Hermle Chime and Strike Setup thread that you can recommend?

(I have tried the search :) )

Thanks!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Hello all!

I'm working on a Kieninger "K" movement. I've been watching the chimes and strikes and just can't seem to get it sync'd up properly.

My question is this: Is there a resource or book similar to the Hermle Chime and Strike Setup thread that you can recommend?

(I have tried the search :) )

Thanks!
Welcome. If you could post some photos of the movement we could help you better.

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
Sorry about that! I think I've got it figured out, but would love be able to nail it right out the gate with minimal fiddle farting around :) I'm a sucker for some good reference material.

I appreciate you guys!

20210912_142734.jpg 20210912_142743.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just wondering what is being driven by that big flat gear over to the right. I don't think I've seen that before.
Curious, Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That rings a bell, :) it's a chime sequencer, the chimes change from one to the next every hour. I've only seen a few of those and none lately.
Thanks, Willie X

Reactions: NEW65

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here's what I would do: the part with the set screw (behind the big wheel closer to the center) needs to be removed. Then let the clock chime until it stops. At that point, put the part back on at the 3/4 hour position. If the chimes sound wrong after that, you'll have to adjust their position by loosening and moving the wheel on the back side that turns the chime barrel. Let us know how that goes, and whether you have issues on the strike side as well.

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
The problem I'm currently having is it will chime the hour, and run on through the quarter, half etc... I think maybe my problem revolves around the position I put the stop lever lift cam in when I set it up. I've tried it with both hooks down and the cam at the beginning of the cut, and I tried it with the hooks up at the end of the cut. (Gosh I hope that made sense)

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
By rotating the cam with the hooks, I was able to get it chiming correctly. However, after a few hours it starts running on through chime sequences again. I feel that if I were able to find an "initial state" configuration I could set it up again and it would be fine... .back to fiddling with it :)

Last edited:

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
That’s a new one on me too. Maybe Mark Butterworth can shed some light.
That unit is called the Sequential model. It offers a selection to change the chime after playing the top of the hour. Setting the chime itself is the same as the standard KSU model. The chime roll needs to have finished the “run down” on the 3rd quarter, the quarter chime plate set so the lever falls in the 3rd quarter slot, and both the locking and the chime synchronization lever need to drop into the chime locking cam. Setting the sequential cam is discussed in one of my FaceBook blogs.

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
Thank you all for your suggestions! I have to set it aside for a day or so but I'll let you know how it goes!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you could post a video of it chiming at all four spots it would help us. Post to Youtube and link here.

NerdOnFire

Feb 7, 2021
Country
I'm sorry it's taken me ages to get back to this. I took it to my mentor Andy today. I was on the right track. The chime cam needed 1/2 mm "ooch" to get the lever arm to drop "more fully" into the stop position. I was on the right track but I think my impatience got the best of me. I was doing the right things, just should've given it one more...

Thank you all for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nersinho
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-