• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Kieninger born in this case ????????

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I've got one very similar, maybe a tad older with the same movement. I'd say it's all original, but I have yet to find out much about mine either. They are well built solid runners.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Kieninger Co. started out in 1912. I would think the OP's case would be around 1915-20.

Others may know more.

JTD

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Any other help :???::???::???:
Please
Unfortunately, I do not think you will get an exact year of manufacture. I am not aware of any Kieninger serial number database, especially from that era. Perhaps someone has a Kieninger catalog that shows your clock. If so, then you will know your clock could have been made in that year, but could also have been made xxx years before or xxx years after the catalog year.

I agree with JTD's estimate of your clock's vintage and perhaps a bit later (say, early to mid 1920s).

Regards..

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I sent you a direct message earlier, noting this clock is not nearly as early as others have claimed. Kieninger's first Westminster chime movement - Movement H- did not come out until 1930 and devices featured within were not patented until the following year. The brass dials and carved cases were still being made up to the 1950's as evident from other company catalogs. Unfortunately I have no Kieninger catalogs on hand so with that, it may be from the early 1930's or later still.

The gong unit is an URGOS pattern as indicated by the stock code and construction methods. Kieninger never made their own coil or rod gong units and nor did the majority of other Black Forest clock makers. The leasing out of components' manufacturing, while largely secretive, kept the costs down and quality up.

Read up on Kieninger history here, the site hasn't been updated since the bankruptcy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-