kieninger 05 K

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MuensterMann, Aug 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    I have a Kieninger movement with 05 K on the back along with 116cm for pendulum. The clock is from the late 1980s, purchased in Germany. It is a triple chime with chain. Is there a replacement movement for this model? I don't see such a model listed with folks selling movements. Is there a another number somewhere that provides a better description?

Did Kieninger use plated pivots during the 1980s?

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I just did 2 of these and have another to do next week

3. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Did you just clean or did you also have to bush? No problems with the pivots?

4. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Is there a replacement model?

5. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Complete overhauls.

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    No problem with the pivots. Is yours an auto-beat ??

7. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    I am not looking at the movement now, but I believe it is an auto-beat. I will check later. Is there something that gives it away as for sure an auto-beat?

I would like to confirm that this movement is no longer available. Then I will know that the only way forward is to deal with it.

Good to know that the pivots are not an issue. Thus, overhauls are possible.

This movement only has about 6 years of use. Other years it has just been sitting around. I do see bushing wear in several bushings, but not sure it needs bushings at this moment in time.

The movement was last cleaned about 17 years ago, but stopped running shortly after for some unknown reason. Thus, it has been sitting idle. I fired it up and it works, although it has some lethargic hammers that don't strike the rods well and the chime lifting arm doesn't lift high enough for the strike snail to fall all the way down, thus striking 1 time for every hour.

8. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Hopefully it wasn't sprayed with WD-40 and the verge wasn't oiled, if it is an auto beat. Shut us a picture of the verge

9. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The model #KKU26 and we carry it. It is listed in our price list. To my knowledge all the makers used the plated pivots during that time.

10. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    As I learn, I now know my 05 relates to 1990, and the K refers to plate size. The 26 on KKU may also refer to year made, perhaps the KKU started about 26 years ago? If it were the K, the 26 would refer to 2011. Mark?

Mark: it seems that the KKU26 looks exactly like the one I have. Would there be any differences that you know that you can point out? Also, is the APR-JUN price list the same as the AUG price list?

Thanks!

11. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 26 on KKU26 refers to the model#. Yes the price is the same. There are no differences to my knowledge

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #12 Willie X, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    MM,
    Keep in mind that you are not buying an actual replacement part. You are buying what is being produced today, or within the last few months, to go in a new production line clock somewhere. Luckily for us the manufacturers keep the replacement market in mind when making changes to their clock movements and keep the basic pattern/s the same. But often enough, not that many individual parts will actually exchange. The older the movement the more noticeable the changes are. But, the latest version of your old movement will probably fit your case with little to no modifications.

In the current US situation, the replacement market may have exceeded the 'new clock' manufacturers demand for new movements? Willie X

13. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Decided to replace unit - got one recently. Some questions.

1. The brass cover that comes with new units that fits over the suspension spring - is that only for suspension spring protection during shipping? Is it supposed to stay or does it get removed for clock operation?

2. Trying to move hand bushing for right position, but it will not move. Any tricks?

3. Dang! The moon dial! I replaced the the front piece (snail) with the old movement to get the gear to move the moon dial. The moon dial seems to always present a problem. Something is bogging down the movement when connected to the dial and moon dial mechanism. Any hints?

14. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
  15. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1. It is to stay in order to keep the leader from falling off.
    2. Put a square on ended awl In the hand square. It should turn. Worst case, knock the hand collet out and then replace
    3.make certain the moon dial gear meshes properly. Also check to make certain you can wiggle the hand hand a bit front to back and side to side.

16. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks Mark. My main problem now, without face on, is that I cannot keep the time running. Hmmm. Nothing binding. Even tick tock. Lyre pendulum, but time train has same weight as chime. Chain on correctly. What the heck!

17. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks Mark again for the information on that brass piece. I put it back on, and I am testing it again. I had that piece still on the bar, but off to the side closer to the back plate. I tried to make sure it wouldn't interfere with anything, but maybe it was.

Two other questions come to mind. 1) on a brand new movement the leader is not connected - thus, must you remove the spring in order to get that leader on properly? I didn't see any other way. 2) there are two holes for where the spring can be attached. I chose the one closer to the plate. Why are there two holes?

18. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Choose the hole closest in distance from the plate to match the original. Usually it is the farthest. Also make certain the angled part of the leader is in towards the movement.

19. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    #19 MuensterMann, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  20. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    kieninger leader.JPG This is my setup. I hope it is okay, since everything is working!

21. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Mark: what curved part were you referring to? Anyway, my setup is shown in the photo. I choose the hole closest to the plate, since it had the better alignment. The pendulum swings clear. The moon dial does not hinder now.

The hand bushing finally moved! I was using a steel awl (squared), but it was doing more stripping than moving.

R&A: I don't think my K 05 has an automatic beat mechanism. However, the new KKU-26 does.

22. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #22 Willie X, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    MM,
    Turn the pendulum leader around 180 degrees. The brace (open slot) goes foward.

Yes, it's best to remove the the suspension spring screw and the suspension spring, then replace the leader/suspension spring (as one piece) and replace the screw.
    Willie X

23. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008