Key wind pocket watch skeleton movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Blitzblack, Aug 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Blitzblack

Blitzblack New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I need help to id this watch, I have been searching and searching to try to find anything I can about this watch. Beautiful guilt skeleton movement of a hunting dog and nature, in a silver case. The movement of the dial is held in place with small tapered pins.
    Movement winds, and ticks for a few seconds, needs hands, crystal.
    Dial is near mint with no cracks, case is in very good condition and without much to any wear.
    Hands look to measure 1.65 and 0.55mm, and the key square is 1.25mm flat to flat.
    Marks inside the back of the case R by itself and a H5 in a oval.
    On the dust cover is Ancrel, Aiguilles, and 15 Rubis.
    On the inside of the dust cover is LT in a small rectangle.
    Case number 24851
    Any information and or value as is or restored would be fantastic.
    View attachment 353057
    View attachment 353061
    View attachment 353062
    View attachment 353068
    View attachment 353069
    View attachment 353070
    View attachment 353071

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Re: Key wing pocket watch skeleton movement

Welcome to the board.

Your watch looks very pretty with the chamois and the edelweiss engraved on the plates.

I am not a watch expert, but those will be along soon, I am sure. In the meantime I can tell you that:

the word on the back is not Ancrel, but Ancre, the curly bit that looks like an L is just for fancy. Ancre refers to the type of movement the watch has.

Aiguilles means 'hands' and shows you which arbor is to turn the hands. The arbor with the arrow is to wind the watch and the arrow shows the direction to turn the key.

15 rubis refers to the jewelled bearings.

Others will be able to tell you much more about the watch and the case, but we are not allowed to give values on this board (see the rules and regulations for posting).

JTD

PS I expect you meant to write Key Wind, not Wing, at the top of the post?

3. Blitzblack

Blitzblack New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Country Flag:

Thank you JTD.
    Yes I did mean to type WIND.
    Sorry about asking for a value, I was just wondering if it has any, or is rare at all. Or if the cost of restore/repair would be greater then the finished value.
    Thanks again
    Rich

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Is this work done later usually, like carving clock cases?

I ask because it looks like the cocks are gilded, but the carved and pierced plate is just brass.

5. Blitzblack

Blitzblack New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Country Flag:

It maybe the light or reflection as everything is gilded, including the gear (barrel) below the winding key. All other gears I can see are brass.
    I'm very curious about a date, on this piece.
    Thanks

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi Blitzblack,

The examples I've seen have been skeletonised and engraved after the basic movement, (the 'ebauche'), was made, and not apparently as part of the initial manufacturing process. I suppose your watch dates from around the middle of the 19th century. The movement is a typical Swiss lever of the period, and in its original state would be known as a 'half-plate'.

Regards,

Graham

7. Blitzblack

Blitzblack New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Has anyone seen examples like this, or is this a an oddity or rare. I have seen one very very similar, different scene but looked to be of the same handy work. But this was about 10+ years ago and it was a pic on the web of someone asking the same questions as myself.
    Any links to similar ones would be cool.
    Cheers, thanks for the help and information so far.
    Rich

8. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Rich, I have seen lots of this type of engraved movement over the years. Regards Ray