American PW Key Wind Dials

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Tim Fitzgerald, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would anyone know a source for dial taper pins. I can buy hairspring pins (to small) & the too big which I have to shave down .
    Thanks
    TimFitz

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I have always just filed them up as I need them. Start with a small brass rod, like from that display at the hardware store, spin it with one hand against some part of your bench you don't care about getting filed a bit, file it until it goes in the right amount. Press it in nice and firm, mark with a graver where it should be cut off, pull it back out and cut it to length. Do all the filing and fitting while it's still attached and it's really easy and quick.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  3. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can also get brass rod at your local hobby store in various diameters. They use it for model trains and RC planes so they usually have a large selection in stock.

Other than that, I have a bag of assorted sizes I use. I think I remember getting it from Timesavers but most of the supply houses should have something similar.

4. leeyaklin_e4a045

leeyaklin_e4a045 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Field service Rep. for the A.W. Chesterton
    Tivoli, Tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found some on ebay a while back. There were several sellers who had them, but all of them were from the United Kingdom. The seller I purchased from sold them for use in verge fusee watches. They worked in my 1857 movement.

5. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    #5 Jerry Kieffer, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Tim
    Taper pins of any size, taper or length can be machined on a capable Lathe per attached photo. They can also be tapered to match a broach per second photo by placing the broach in the Lathe and setting the tool against the broach taper. In this manner, a hole can be touched up to match the taper of the pin providing far greater security than a non matching taper.
    Larger sizes are shown for procedure illustration purposes, however hairspring sizes are no issue with a quality lathe tool and proper setup.

Jerry Kieffer

DSCN7218.JPG DSCN5424.JPG

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the information, just ordered some :)
    TimFitz

8. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I grabbed a pack of 1/32" rods, thinking i was now set for life! They arr pretty thick and will require allot of shaping...

What size rods would you recommend?

9. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Dave Coatsworth, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Be warned that those Timesavers taper pins are larger than advertised. That's where I got my stock until recently. The last two batches have been oversized. I've discussed it with them and they are going to discuss with their supplier but, for now, all of their stock is oversized and will not fit a dial pin hole. (The minimum size is actually 0.013".)

10. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I know this is related to American pocket watches but I still want to mention something I observed on European fusee movements.

The movement is held together with brass pins however I often find steel pins holding the dial! I don't think it is a coincidense since I have seen it on quite a few watches!

11. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hope they fix the error in size that gets quite annoying. I did recommended those because they are smaller than these .016 to .030 which seem to be small enough for these dials

15721219749161795305872618759931.jpg

12. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The advertised size of 0.010" is perfect for dials and I've been reselling them for years. It's just this past year that they got a bad shipment and didn't realize it until I complained. 0.013 is just a bit fat. The end will barely go through a dial pin hole.