Kern Standard, eBay wins

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Having not sourced a 400 day clock for a while, I recently started checking ebay again and won four clocks in two separate auctions. Not my favourite way to buy them, but one has to feed one's habit :)

The first two are these Kern standards which arrived by post today.

I'm not sure which pendulum goes with which clock, or if it matters, but I'm tempted to swap them from how they are shown in the photos as I have an electronic Kern very similar to the "art deco" style clock and it has the "fancier" pendulum.

I assume the green dial dial best be described as "rococo"? That clock arrived without a saddle or suspension parts but otherwise both clocks look to be in very good condition. The "art deco" clock was missing its bottom block but I did find one in the package. I'm going to have to go through the packing material and see if the other missing bits are there too :)

Would these normally have a suspension-lock loop hanging from the back plate? If not, what are the two small holes for?

I believe the plates are (Art Deco) 1405A and (Green rococo) 1340D.

Kern-deco-front.jpg Kern-deco-backplate.jpg Kern-green-front.jpg Kern-green-backplate.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Andy -

Nice! I was browsing ebay the other day and also saw quite a few clocks reasonably priced...of course it was early in the bidding. Makes me wonder if I should dip a toe...

RE: the two small holes...I showed a Kern that was given to me which also had the two small holes at the bottom. John Hubby responded with some good background and explained the two holes in this post:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php...s-Kern-and-Son&p=988767&viewfull=1#post988767

Looks like they were to hold a bracket as a protection against the pendulum swinging when handling...more or less discarded feature over time.

Kurt

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thanks Kurt. I guess those pendulum lock brackets are a bit like suspension guards - they get in the way when you're working on the clock - and have gone missing when you remember to refit them months later :)

I'm not too concerned since they don't affect the running.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Whether ALL clocks shipped with the bracket or not, I can't say.
But in general, for Kern and certain KoMas the clocks with some kind of a pendulum locking mechanism in the base still have their bracket and those that don't... Don't.
Same with the Schatz 53 'Horseshoe' clock. versus pretty much all the other 53s.

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
That was my assumption too Martin. The locking device doesn't look like it would be much use without the bracket to press against so I'm thinking these should have one.

I just checked, and even my electronic model has the bracket.

Also, I just checked the book and it lists pendulum #46 as belonging to plate 1405, so I think that confirms my suspicions and I'll swap them over.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller