Kern Midget Pendulum Adjustment?

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I picked up this clock a month or two ago.. it arrived in very good shape other than a broken suspension spring, so I replaced that and she's been running fine ever since

KernMidgeFront.jpg

One thing about it is driving me nuts. It's very difficult to regulate the time. The adjustment wheel on the pendulum...

KernMidgeAdjust.jpg

..is labeled like most, with a turn clockwise spreading the balls and slowing the clock down, and a counterclockwise turn doing the opposite.

On most clocks, you hold the pendulum balls, and turn the adjustment wheel. The act of holding the pendulum still keeps the bottom block, and therefore the suspension spring, motionless. On this clock, if you do that, turning that adjustment wheel turns the hook, bottom block, and twists the spring!! To adjust it, I have to hold the adjustment wheel stationary then turn the balls of the pendulum itself. That always confuses me... is the engraving on the guard referring to the direction I should be rotating the pendulum itself, or the result of that rotation, meaning, turning the balls counterclockwise results in the same change to the adjustment wheel/pendulum interface as turning the wheel clockwise. Drives me nuts.. I can never remember which way to turn the thing to adjust the speed in the right direction.

Is that the way this clock is supposed to work, or did someone assemble the pendulum incorrectly?!?!?

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
My KuS midget pendulum does the same thing, so I don’t thing yours is assembled wrong. Mine has a little retaining wire too around the block, so I can’t take the pendulum off without removing the wire clip. Seems to me with that set up, it was meant to work holding the rating wheel and turning the arms.

Reactions: MuseChaser

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
My KuS midget pendulum does the same thing, so I don’t thing yours is assembled wrong. Mine has a little retaining wire too around the block, so I can’t take the pendulum off without removing the wire clip. Seems to me with that set up, it was meant to work holding the rating wheel and turning the arms.
Thanks, Jack. So, to clarify, the engraving suggesting that you turn clockwise to retard.... do you turn the ARMS clockwise while holding the wheel stationary, as viewed from above?

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Have a simular KuS midget that works like that and I'll confirm its very sensitive to get requlated. Adjust the rate wheel in the direction of the arrows for expected result. I just thought this design was a less expensive way to make it.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Thanks, Wayne. Not to be thick, but the semantics of this dilemma are killing me. Since you can't turn the wheel without twisting the spring,the allegory would be to hold the wheel stationary and turn the pendulum arms OPPOSITE the engraved arrows to achieve the expected result, yes?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
MuseChaser, you're correct. If you do as you suggest, the relative movement of the regulation knob to the pendulum weights is the same as if you could actually move the regulation knob but hold the pendulum steady.

Kurt

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The others beat me to it. Turn the pendulum arms opposite to the markings. It is as Kurt says; the results are the same as if turning the rating disk. Here’s a shot of the retaining wire that clips around the top. Only midget I have with added wire retainer.
786563B8-8CBA-4674-876E-36A00181FE0D.jpeg

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
It works like a nut and bolt so its all a matter of the adjusters perspective yet the threads remain the same

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Thanks, all. I understood the physics... it was my lack of trust in the manufacturer's semantics that tripped me up.

Nannas400

Dec 27, 2020
devon, uk
Country
Region
Thanks, all. I understood the physics... it was my lack of trust in the manufacturer's semantics that tripped me up.
Further to those helpful comments...I too have Kern which cannot be adjusted better than a minute a day or so...is there any chance that lubricating the adjustment nut may help with resolution?

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Further to those helpful comments...I too have Kern which cannot be adjusted better than a minute a day or so...is there any chance that lubricating the adjustment nut may help with resolution?
When your getting close the setting changes need to be very small almost in thousandths of an inch. If you see the rate wheel move its probably too much.

Mine is keeping good time after taking it apart several times looking for some reason for its poor timekeeping. Last thing I did was take the mainspring down again, sanded so it shines and used teflon and synthetic oil in the mainspring. Been good since that change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff