Kern & Link

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Not mentioned earlier, but Kern & Link were in business from late 1929 to around mid-1932, having taken over the Kienzle 400-Day clock business in 1929. In 1932, Link went his own way and Adolph Kern continued making clocks based on the Kienzle design that was used by K&L, becoming Kern Uhrenfabrik. In 1937 Kern took in his sons to the company and changed the name to Kern & Söhne.
John,
It might be of interest to you that Kern & Link was still advertising in July 1936 as shown in the attached pictures.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
John,
It might be of interest to you that Kern & Link was still advertising in July 1936 as shown in the attached pictures.
Cool! Can you supply a translation?

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi Shutterbug and all other friends:
Here´s the translation of the advertising:The paper is called "Observer in the Clock-Trade",subtitle "Clock Service,which is the helper of the german clockbuiseness".The ad.reads:"Clock-factory Kern and Link Ltd.Schwenningen on the river Neckar (Wuertenberg),Komplete modern table-clocks,wall-clocks,8-and 14-day strikers,Westminster mvmts.and year-cklocks(400 days duration)Sold by wholesalers"
HTH
Burkhard

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Thanks, Burkhard! Very cool :)

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
John,
Vic, the info I provided is taken mainly from Terwilliger's notes. We know that Charlie was not always the best in citing his sources so I generally check and recheck where possible to verify his stories. I don't know the source of his statements on pages 11 and 20 of the Repair Guide but they seem to indicate that (a) the split occurred and (b) Kern continued to make 400-Day clocks on his own.

However, Schmid also says that the partners split up in 1932 with Link forming a new company "Link & Co.". Schmid makes another note regarding Kern in relation to the new company but I could not translate anything that made sense except that Kern may have continued some involvement.

This advertisement raises a very interesting possibility. Could it be that even though the partnership was dissolved in 1932 as seems to be the case, Kern did not change the name of the company until early 1937 when he brought his sons into the business and it became Kern & Söhne? IF that was what actually happened, then the 1936 ad would make a LOT of sense. One other source "might" make some sense of this, being the Kern descendents still running the company. I have gone through the Kern history that is available, unfortunately the actual company name and structure in these early years isn't really clear.

Someone needs to dig through the DUZ magazines published between 1932 and 1938 to see what might be found in the business notices. That could clarify the real story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller