• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Kern & Link plate 1667?

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Hello All,
I have an unmarked plate that appears to be closest to 1667. Is anyone familiar with this model? Age?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Robb FD3B3DDC-90CE-466C-AAF4-1947B4EE5D45.jpeg 9145EF0A-2A3F-47E9-8799-63CEE09EF743.jpeg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Not sure I'm very helpful on dates. However, I have exactly the same clock but mine is plate 1404...it has the "KS" logo on it. I'm aware that Kern & Link started in 1929 out of the remnants of Kienzle. They became Kern & Söhne in 1937. There was likely a shutdown during WWII and then restarted after the war and made it until about 2007.

Kurt

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That is a beautiful clock! I have a Konrad Mauch that has a dial almost identical to it that dates from 1951-1952.

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Not sure I'm very helpful on dates. However, I have exactly the same clock but mine is plate 1404...it has the "KS" logo on it. I'm aware that Kern & Link started in 1929 out of the remnants of Kienzle. They became Kern & Söhne in 1937. There was likely a shutdown during WWII and then restarted after the war and made it until about 2007.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt
It looks like we’re talking about the same animal, just made during different times in the company’s history. The styling of the clock looks dead on 1930; however, I once bought a couch that looked right out of the ‘30’s that had a stamped manufacture date of 1951. As long as people kept buying, they kept making.

Thanks for the info!
Robb

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
That is a beautiful clock! I have a Konrad Mauch that has a dial almost identical to it that dates from 1951-1952.
I really the octagonal dials. I also have another clock with the same dial and hands made by Kieninger & Obergfell in a four post version.

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
I really the octagonal dials. I also have another clock with the same dial and hands made by Kieninger & Obergfell in a four post version.
Hello All,
I have an unmarked plate that appears to be closest to 1667. Is anyone familiar with this model? Age?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Robb View attachment 678031 View attachment 678030

Robb,

I have one practically identical to yours except it has a probably retailer's name on the dial and the back plate was stamped with the KS logo . The side by side pictures of your clock and mine shown below leaves no doubt your clock was made by Kern and Sohne.

1635216458165.jpeg
1635216516458.jpeg

Mun C W

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Mun -

The repair guide says that the name Selva was a German exporter and the clock was made by Kern and Söhne...that certainly matches with the logo on the back. Your clock has "Made in Germany" at the bottom of the dial whereas Robb's does not. What does that say about different time frames of production?

Kurt

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
Kurt.

Robb's clock has back plate 1667 was made in 1932 according to the Repair Guide. All other back plates stamped with the KS logo listed in the Repair Guide were made after WWII.
My clock's back plate is not listed but is quite similar to Plate 1404, c1949 except for the slight difference in the position of the logo. Quite possible my clock was made in 1949 or maybe a little earlier, we may never know.

Mun C W

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Robb,

I have one practically identical to yours except it has a probably retailer's name on the dial and the back plate was stamped with the KS logo . The side by side pictures of your clock and mine shown below leaves no doubt your clock was made by Kern and Sohne.

View attachment 678141
View attachment 678142

Mun C W
Mun C W,
Thanks for sharing the photo of your clock. They look identical to me, other than the previously noted KS logo. I’ve read the company name went through several iterations in it’s history, so that would explain the slight differences. I’ve owned this clock going on 15 years and it’s one of the few that has been on constant display from the time I bought it. It’s one of my favorites.
Robb

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
I have two others that were made later also with wood base and octagonal dial but with different pendulum and I post pictures of one of them shown below.

1635399856164.jpeg

Though the identical back plates of both were not listed in the Repair Guide we know when they were made as each of them has an ink-stamped date showing 24 Jan 1955 on the underside of the wood base. Both clocks were bought from two separate sellers from different countries so the dates were most likely to have been stamped in the factory and not by the retailors or the owners who had bought them. There is an article on these two clocks published in The Torsion Times, Q1 2001 issue.

Mun C W

Last edited:

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
I have two others that were made later also with wood base and octagonal dial but with different pendulum and I post pictures of one of them shown below.

View attachment 678432

Though the identical back plates of both were not listed in the Repair Guide we know when they were made as each of them has an ink-stamped date showing 24 Jan 1955 on the underside of the wood base. Both clocks were bought from two separate sellers from different countries so the dates were most likely to have been stamped in the factory and not by the retailors or the owners who had bought them. There is an article on these two clocks published in The Torsion Times, Q1 2001 issue.

Mun C W
That’s a nice clock. It’s been updated for the late 40’s- early 50’s. The banding on the dial and posts, the contour of the base and the shape of the pendulum weights. Even the numerals on the dial have been subtly reshaped to reflect the lighter style popular after the war. Around here we call it Hollywood Regency style. All in all, a great looking clock. I’ll check out the Torsion Times article you mention. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-