Kern 400 day escapewheel slipping

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by MLS, Feb 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MLS

MLS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    its a kern miniature that I just got around to trying to get going. I cleaned it a few months ago and it has been in a box. I put on a new suspension spring and it tries to run but as mentioned the escape wheel slips. As far as I know the clock was running years ago before being left to sit on a shelf for 10-15 years. What should I do in this case. I really do not want to have to adjust pallets but if that is the remedy I would appreciate insight.

Thanks,

Mls

2. MLS

MLS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is a link to video

The suspension fork seems to jerk in one direction as well

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you say "slips", are you familiar with the term "flutter"? So, does the escape wheel rotate unrestrained for a few seconds...then it locks and is OK? Does the minute hand advance rapidly when this happens? I suspect that since you put a new suspension spring, the fork is too low. Try raising the fork a millimeter or so. Do it in small increments until this situation stops.

Update...just saw the video...you're clock is fluttering...see above!

Let us know how it goes. Also, show us a picture of two of the clock...we like to see clocks!

Kurt

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looked at the video. First thought was looked like flutter.

5. MLS

MLS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys. I will try and raise the fork tomorrow. I haven’t the nerves left for it today!