keeping your books to hand

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by novicetimekeeper, Jun 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a lot of reference books and when sat in my chair with a computer often need to check them for dates, makers etc. They were getting in a bit of a muddle in trying to keep them close at hand when I hit upon an old solution.

I bought an edwardian canterbury at auction very cheaply, everybody wants new these days.

Now it is by my side and it is so easy to access books which are much better presented and preserved in their new home. 308606.jpg 308607.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a little bookcase but that looks interesting.

Ron

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 novicetimekeeper, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I think I have always quite fancied a canterbury, I had two single shelf cases on the floor but looking down from above it was quite hard sometimes to see the book you wanted and they all fell over if you took out more than one t a time.

The Canterbury is great, they are arranged in logical groups as far as size will allow, so I can go for name/date reference, regional reference, or clock type reference. It has proved incredibly useful and convenient so far, looks great and looks after some very expensive books. Was only £65 at auction too!

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    We have a lot of books in our house too, and any nice easy access
    solution is good. Nice purchase!

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 novicetimekeeper, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    yes, it was an excellent buy, we were discussing what to do and I suggested a Canterbury. I looked on ebay to show my partner what I meant but the best was £200 and not attractive.

As I had the saleroom website open for clock auctions I put it in the search box there and found several. This one in an auction 200 miles away that had already started. I fired off an email not expecting a reply in time and got one straight back, placed a bid and within the hour it was ours. Found a carrier and a week later it arrived.

My concern was that the rotating mechanism might be shot but now loaded with books it spins freely with no knocks or bumps.

6. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    I, also, "fancy" these, but I've never seen a decent one for a good price at auction nearby. Board-foot for board-foot (and aside from clocks!) bookcases seem to be the most expensive form of vintage furniture. No one who loves books ever has enough shelf space. So, I've more or less resigned myself to building some of these, when I get one of those elusive round tuits. One change I'd make is putting slanted louvers over the blank sides to hold magazines. For the feet, I plan to use the feet from discarded swivel desk chairs.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one has feet like that, a four footed base. I don't know how the bearing system works because it was full of books within a day of arriving.

I don't know if it is real or repro, it is well made but I think not as old as it looks.

8. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Bill. I've wanted a version of this type of Canterbury for years. They were either too expensive or in terrible condition. Someday..... I need a few.

Ralph

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you see a few in the auctions here Ralph, but expensive to ship.

10. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I finally unboxing and setting up my in house shop I put up the watch/clock library first I am putting all of the books in plastic envelopes and sleeves bought from OfficeMax/Staples and magazine protectors bought off the internet to keep them clean as you can see in the picture a mouse started to chew a hole in the envelope while it was packed and stopped I hope it got a belly ache as the envelopes are not cheap
    HorLib1.JPG HorLib2.JPG Mousechew.JPG .

HorLib1.JPG HorLib2.JPG Mousechew.JPG

11. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sorry about double posting the pictures it is the first time since the update I have posted a picture I tried to delete one set but it would not delete.

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    we put all the books in a clear plastic sleeve to protect the dust jackets. Ypu do have to be careful not to rotate the thing too quick or Newton takes hold and a book will come flying out. It is still going well and really glad I bought it but it is getting a bit full, and also has a pile on top of books too big to fit in the sides.