Kaiser Universe narrow plate pendulum

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
There are 4 weights. Two fixed and 2 move to retard and advance. In moveable weights there are small holes to accept a pin fixed in frame. When weight is positioned with pin in place it cannot move in or out so why have the pin? Anyone can explain? 56B8E727-655D-447E-8C9B-E959E9660C98.jpeg BA73D98F-B86C-4675-8B8B-8E02FB930144.jpeg FBB53C1D-057B-4F18-9250-9D18648410EC.jpeg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Some of the pictures are out of focus, but I assume that your setup is like the ones that I've overhauled. My "tutorial" of sorts is here:

Kaiser Universe Overhaul | NAWCC Forums

If I understand the issue, the pins you mention is supposed to fit into the spiral groove in the piece that comes through the globe. That way, when the star is turned at the top of the globe, the weights are turned which engage the spiral groove, moving the two weights in/out.

Kurt

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
)8
Some of the pictures are out of focus, but I assume that your setup is like the ones that I've overhauled. My "tutorial" of sorts is here:

Kaiser Universe Overhaul | NAWCC Forums

If I understand the issue, the pins you mention is supposed to fit into the spiral groove in the piece that comes through the globe. That way, when the star is turned at the top of the globe, the weights are turned which engage the spiral groove, moving the two weights in/out.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt for your response. Here’s my question: if the weight goes in that pin then it cannot move along the groove like other Universes I’ve worked on. So why have the pin and stop the weight moving? EA082BF8-9749-4167-9BB5-55C4DEB595AE.jpeg 549369FB-1F76-4C58-9697-4C7F8014DE47.jpeg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Well, that's certainly a problem! I didn't take my pendulum apart that far. But I agree, that pin that comes out of the arm sure would stop the weight from moving. But it's important to know that only two of the weights move. It looks like the one weight you're holding and the one on the opposite side are fixed. The other two move in/out based upon the spiral plate I mentioned that engage the other two small nubs on the weight cross arms.

Kurt

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
Well, that's certainly a problem! I didn't take my pendulum apart that far. But I agree, that pin that comes out of the arm sure would stop the weight from moving. But it's important to know that only two of the weights move. It looks like the one weight you're holding and the one on the opposite side are fixed. The other two move in/out based upon the spiral plate I mentioned that engage the other two small nubs on the weight cross arms.

Kurt
Single weight I’m holding let’s call it west, is one weight that’s meant to slide. North south are fixed, and east slides in groove. My thought was that the weights were fixed in pins and could not be adjusted and the clock was factory set to keep time. One reads of this being the best made clock etc. I wonder if Kaiser paid Terwilliger to help push sales of this clock because it was a marketing disaster, is my impression and Terwilliger would have been an important USA influencer. WRONGLY PRICED WHEN other marketers were lowering their prices.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Given what I'm seeing, you're holding the W weight but I see no other connection to it to make it move along with E pendulum. I wish I had taken better pictures of the pendulum weights when I had mine apart.

IMO I think only weights N and S are designed to move. The others appear to be fixed...notice the nut on the E weight. I added two arrows to your picture showing the nubs that engage with the spiral plate from the rest of the pendulum. As these numbs move in/out around the spiral, it pulls the N and S weights in/out.

I can't say as I've heard that about the Kaisers and any relationships with Terwilliger.

Kurt

KaiserPendulum.jpg

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
Given what I'm seeing, you're holding the W weight but I see no other connection to it to make it move along with E pendulum. I wish I had taken better pictures of the pendulum weights when I had mine apart.

IMO I think only weights N and S are designed to move. The others appear to be fixed...notice the nut on the E weight. I added two arrows to your picture showing the nubs that engage with the spiral plate from the rest of the pendulum. As these numbs move in/out around the spiral, it pulls the N and S weights in/out.

I can't say as I've heard that about the Kaisers and any relationships with Terwilliger.

Kurt

View attachment 648233
You’re quite right Kurt, it’s N S weights that should and now do move. Having spent 70 years in the tropics the sliding bars were firmly rusted in one position. I have 3 wide plate and 2 narrow plates which I’m selling as time and age are unfortunately connected. Thanks so much for your help in this posting. All the best. 3CBD9955-9793-4CFC-AF8B-84270302D1ED.jpeg 3223A507-814B-4986-84B1-BB2936EDC87A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre