Kaiser universe globe

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Peter W, Jun 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Peter W, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Kaiser universe globe: how to repaint it?

Has anyone repainted in gold the land areas on a blue Kaiser Univers Globe? What is the best paint to use to get a flat even coat? I’m trying with gold acrylic paint mixed with water but the result is unacceptable. I washed both halves before starting.

Any advice on a successful job much appreciated.

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    please show what You have and explain what Your problem is,never occured to me a globe to be repainted.
    Burkhard

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the description, it sounds like you may be trying to brush-paint the gold. This rarely works on anything other than the smallest of parts, without strokes showing.
    For something like this, I'd brush paint Elmer's glue on all of the blue area, as a paint mask and then spray the gold and wash off the glue when the paint is thoroughly dry.

4. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are some photos of globe Burkhard. Thanks MartinM that’s sounds like the way to go. I shall google Elmers glue and see if I can buy some

24BB4578-8B38-461D-9A1C-DA7101E8B252.jpeg 7B1FFCEF-D455-4AF7-8AE7-ADF24122D824.jpeg 2443F8BB-1A6C-4F50-929D-C382A8F46FD0.jpeg

5. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Martin, I have found some Elmers glue but have never heard of it before. Is it a water or rubber based glue? Strange I almost missed your post as I didn’t get an email to tell me. Much appreciate your suggestion?

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    take care and try the gold laquer and also the glue in a hidden part of the globe,perhaps inside; I don´t know what the globes are made of,but several plastics don´t combine with e.g. solvent based laquers.Good luck!
    Burkhard

7. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Burkhard. Certainly one should NEVER use thinners on this plastic. I’ll show you the end result ........ if it’s good :)

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Elmer's is pretty ubiquitous here in the US. It's termed, "school glue" and is water based and non-toxic. It basically replaced paste in elementary schools.
    Krylon makes a paint for plastics called, "Fusion" that comes in gold.

9. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Tnx for tips Martin, I’ve sourced Elmers but can’t find Krylon Fusion.

10. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know much about their European distribution. It does look to be one that isn't available everywhere.
    The easiest place I could find in the US is a home improvement store chain called Lowes.
    Shop Krylon FUSION ALL-IN-ONE Gold Metallic Spray Paint (Actual Net Contents: 12 oz.) at Lowes.com

If you went light on the coats, I'm sure it would be fine to use most rattle-can enamels without incident.

If you do try this route, please experiment first on something else. The process of washing away the glue mask might do ugly things to the gold paint,
    Better safe than sorry.

11. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for this Martin. Apologies for late reply. I rely on email notification from NAWCC but never got any so didn’t check back on site. I haven’t been on the site for a while as your message is June 28. Time flies, indeed!

12. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    WOW!!! Martin the Elmers worked a treat. Let thick coating of glue set overnight. Sprayed revolving hemisphere. Waited 10 mins and peeled off the Elmers in one complete coat. The system is perfect only a bit of glue seemed to run onto S America. I used a sharp pencil or stick to push glue into awkward, fiddly places like Indonesia. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUGGESTION.