Kaiser "Universe" 400-day torsion clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by markiemark, Apr 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    This is the model that had the white pillars and surrounding the base which is now peeled away but that's typical of this model. Still works and includes the pendulum locking nut and levelling screws. No key though. Picked up at auction last weekend.

IMG_1500.jpg IMG_1501.jpg IMG_1503.jpg IMG_1511.jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have moved this to the 400-day clock forum where I hope it will receive the comments it deserves.

3. markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    There seem to be a few 400-day / anniversary clock repair manuals around. Can anyone recommend the best one? I have a Kaiser Universe and a Grand Universe clock which I want to learn about so any manual that covers those would be best.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not aware of a specific book that deals with the Kaisers. In general, the 400 Day Clock Repair Guide by Terwilliger will provide some details about the clock...it doesn't have a lot on the specific disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly of anniversary clocks. I have a couple of these clocks and have been looking to refurbish them, but there are "special" aspects to the clock, the least of which is added gearing for the small moon at the top. Maybe they're just like the others, but maybe not.

Kurt

markiemark likes this.
  5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 John Hubby, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Click on this Kaiser Search, which comes up with 89 threads in this forum having something to do with Kaiser clocks. I think you will find just about everything needed to service a Kaiser of any model, but it could take a while to sort through all the threads.

There is no specific service manual I am aware of for the Kaisers. The notes in the Repair Guide Appendix are quite useful, in particular Appendix 34 and 68 that deal with the motion works (there is no center wheel on a Kaiser) and the pendulum respectively.

One thing to keep in mind, the only difference in servicing the Universe and World models is the moon drive mechanism on the Universe. Otherwise the movements and pendulums are identical.

6. markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thought I'd show the clock after the clean up. I was surprised the brass comes up so well after all the crud stuck on it. Decided not to touch the moon just yet.

pic3 before.jpg pic4 before.JPG pic5 after.jpg pic6 after.jpg pic7 after.jpg