• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Kaiser Grand Universe

markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
Country
Hi, I have a Kaiser Grand Universe. I needs some work. I had an initial look over it and I can see:
  • The top of the suspension holder is bent (fixable)
  • Suspension spring is missing (I have one on order)
  • The escape wheel is missing the rod that pokes upwards and links to the forks on the suspension spring
  • The cowling for the suspension spring is missing
My questions are on the last two items:
1) Is it possible to put a new rod into the escape wheel or should I be looking to source a replacement escape wheel?
2) I'm not sure where I might be able to source a rod/escape wheel or suspension spring cowling for this clock? Any suggestions or are there any people in this forum with such parts available for purchase?

IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1675.jpg IMG_1676.jpg IMG_1677.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Long, long ago I had a 400 day clock with a similar problem and I replaced the missing pin and glued it in. It worked. I think I used part of a taper pin cut to size. It probably didn't need gluing but I did anyway.

I don't know of any suppliers of the suspension spring covers. You could look for a scrap movement on E-Bay, but these covers are often missing and not that important.

You might do better posting this enquiry in the 400 day clock section - maybe a moderator will move it for you.

JTD

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I'll move this to our 400 day forum for best exposure.

Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member
Nov 16, 2011
Mason, IL
www.harrysclockshop.com
Country
Region
I just had a close look at my Grand Universe to check the pin in the anchor. Unlike most torsion clocks the pin goes through the side of the anchor body. The pin appears to go all the way through the anchor so I am assuming it is just pressed tightly in. Is your broken off flush or is there just a hole for the pin? If there is just a hole you can use some magnification and see if there are any threads. From my picture you should be able to get an idea how to shape it. The height is 24 mm and the diameter is .90 mm.

If you wish to purchase any parts for your clock the only place that might be of help is The Horolovar Co. I don't think you will often find parts for a Kaiser Grand Universe on the big auction site.

image000000 (15).jpg image000000 (16).jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Those are good pictures and I remember now what the pin looked like. I used a long piece of wire that had once been part of the long horizontal hinge in a back door flap - so not a taper pin. As I remember it was a friction fit, which is why I said I probably need not have glued it, although I did.

JTD

markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
Country
Thanks for that. Mine seems to be a different design. The pin comes straight out of the top of the coat hanger shaped piece. Looks like its broken flush to the metal. On saying that, that might be a screw to hold in the pin as below that there looks to be a hole for a pin but I cannot get a clear picture. Looks like I'll have to dismantle it after all. Thanks for showing me your pin that's a great help.

IMG_1680.jpg IMG_1683.jpg

Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member
Nov 16, 2011
Mason, IL
www.harrysclockshop.com
Country
Region
The coat hanger piece you refer to is called the anchor and I find it strange that on yours the hole for the anchor pin seems to be offset to one side. I have only seen the pins mounted at the very top of the anchor so as to provide symmetrical geometry for the escapement to work properly. The only other design I have seen is on my Kaiser and the pin comes out of the front of the anchor but still where it would be considered symmetrical. My plate is 1309A and from the little I can see of yours it is the same but unfortunately the repair guide does not have a parts breakdown for this movement. I am not saying there might not have been some different designs used as mine is the only Kaiser Grand Universe I have seen. Hopefully those with a Grand Universe or a Kaiser World Globe (I understand the movements are identical) will chime in as to what their anchor looks like. I will also mention that since your anchor looks to be mounted 'sideways' to the escape wheel that the location of the broken pin would seem correct.

A clear picture showing the back plate of your clock might be of some help since there might be different plates used in these clocks.

Also.. in your pictures I cannot figure out what the cylindrical piece is that looks to be attached to the top right part of the anchor.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
OK, all, "beware" that one version of the Kaiser movement has the anchor mounted at about a 40 degree angle to horizontal; on that one the anchor pin is mounted 40 deg. off center and there is a counterweight screwed into the anchor that is 90 degrees to the anchor pin. The counterweight is there to counterbalance the anchor being off-center. This can be seen on Plate 1309, where the pallet inspection holes are correspondingly at a angle to match the anchor.

Last edited:

markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
Country
Thanks for all your feedback, very useful. Has anyone fully removed the globe from a Kaiser Universe or Grand Universe. Looks like I would need a special tool or to make such a tool. I have tried a few methods but it seems very very tight and I'm scared to apply too much force. If you have any suggests of a simple trick to do this please let me know.

IMG_1727.jpg

Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member
Nov 16, 2011
Mason, IL
www.harrysclockshop.com
Country
Region
I do not remember having any difficulty in removing the round slotted nut shown in your picture. I think mine was loose enough that simply using a screwdriver that fit on just one side of the tube worked. Since yours is tight you may have to make a spanner type screwdriver similar to the crude drawing below. I would find a piece of brass sheet to fit the slot and cut or grind away one side until it would fit and span across the tube. When holding the globe I would wear either a cotton or latex glove as the finish is rather fragine on the globe. There are several pieces to the globe and pendulum assembly so either make a drawing or take lots of pictures as you take it apart. I will also add some pictures of mine which might help.

image000000 (7).jpg image000000 (1).jpg image000000 (3).jpg image000000 (4).jpg image000000 (5).jpg image000000 (6).jpg image000000.jpg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Carberry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit